Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some bookcases off cregslist. They were too good to be true. Handmaid, sturdy and exactly what I need. 3 for 20.00. Wow!!! I brought them home, all smiles and giggles…

They smell like cat shit.

I sprayed and washed them down with tilex. After a headache and burning eyes it still smells like cat-shit, just a little less.

I don’t know anything about cleaning this sort of thing. In my experience spraying it with bleach and backing off is normally the best solution.

How do I save my bookcases?

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
well...since you've already tried that I would give a go at oxy clean follwed by oust or febreeze. Couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Wood is porous some some odors may be deep in the wood. I think your best bet would be to seal the items with a couple of coats of a paint primer, like Kilz or Binz brand, it is a white primer. Then paint them in whatever color you wanted.

I am not sure if they have a natural wood finish you wanted to keep. If that is the case, maybe the folks at the hardware store might have another suggestion for a sealant or poly finish to seal the odor in. Perhaps the folks who owned them before you were so used to the ummm kitty odor they did notice it?

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Maybe put them outside to air out for a couple of days? Then clean with a baking soda mixture, baking soda absorbs odors. Maybe worth a shot?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
That's terrible...funny :)lol the way you describe the smell, but I am sorry your bookcases smell. I think the people who already posted have some great ideas. I was thinking some sort of a sealant or paint if cleaning and airing it out doesn't take care of the smell. I wonder how that smell got into the wood? I could understand cat pee...that stuff is potent, but :poop:, I wonder how that happend? Good luck to you, I am sure you can get rid of the odor and still have a good deal on the bookcases, and a very funny story!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The title of this thread made me laugh. Good luck getting the smell out.:)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont mean to laugh but this is hilarious, ok with that said, try airing it out first but beware that if there are other cats in the neighborhood, keep them away as they might decide to do their business on them too.

I agree with trying to maybe seal them with a clear finish but try airing them out first and let us know how things go.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
ok, so thanks for the giggle......I agree with the others about trying to seal it with some sort of sealant.....let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
933 Posts
ive heard of something called nature's miracle. you might let the bookshelves air out and then try something like that. other then that, resanding and refinishing are about the only ideas i have left.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So… things get more interesting.

There are three bookcases. Two Normal ones and one huge one. The two normal were outside. The huge one was inside the lady’s library.

I just figured out that the huge one doesn’t smell. The ones that smell were out on the porch. I looked at the ad on the site. It was heavy snow all over it and has been listed for about a month and half.

So, it’s been outside for a long time.

Right now my cat is staring at the duo of doom and keeps looking back at me like “you know that smells like my butt right?”

I don’t really have money to buy primer right now but they have already been painted blue. I painted a dresser that was pink black once without primer. I don’t know if it will work with this smell though. I do have some stuff that I have no idea what they are… maybe they are secretly primer or something. I really wouldnt know.

I have

Interior latex ceiling paint {goes on pink or something}
Interior Latex popcorn paint
Bin Primer Sealer Stain-Killer
Big black can of interior furniture paint :loop:

If it’s really important that I get some primer I can wait until next Tuesday… I guess… *shutters*

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I just got some bookcases off cregslist. They were too good to be true. Handmaid, sturdy and exactly what I need. 3 for 20.00. Wow!!! I brought them home, all smiles and giggles…

They smell like cat shit.

I sprayed and washed them down with tilex. After a headache and burning eyes it still smells like cat-shit, just a little less.

I don’t know anything about cleaning this sort of thing. In my experience spraying it with bleach and backing off is normally the best solution.

How do I save my bookcases?
No wonder they were cheap. They should have put in the listing that the bookcase smelled like cat crap.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, they should have. I would have backed off and went to ikea with my 20.00. My boyfriend thinks people went out to see the bookcases and were smart enufe to ask why they were outside. lol

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Bin Primer Sealer Stain-Killer - This should be a primer. Then you should be able to paint it whatever you want. I've never used a primer to seal in odors though. Let us know if it works.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
We have used both Bins and Kilz to seal odors in the past. Be sure to use it in a well vented area. We've used them in resturants that have had fires and HUD Rehab projects. You may want to use 2 coats. Wait 24 hours between coats to allow for good drying time. Be sure to do the backs and bottoms of the shelves. The I would apply a good oil based painted. Oil mades a harder surface than Acrylics and will look better and last longer. Also since your trying to seal the surface it will do a better job. Wait 48 hours before loading with books and objects so they don't stick. Patience is a watch word here. By waiting the proper periods you'll be rewarded with a better job.

LAurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Right now my cat is staring at the duo of doom and keeps looking back at me like “you know that smells like my butt right?”
:laugh: That made me laugh out loud!

Your sealer/stain killer would most likely work. If its a stain killer that means its going to seal it all up. Good luck!!!

·
27,948 Posts
"Right now my cat is staring at the duo of doom and keeps looking back at me like “you know that smells like my butt right?”

Oh my, you do have a way with words. :laugh: :fan:

That phrase should be in the funniest fv phrases of all time. Oh my is that funny. Good luck with your project, hoping it gets the feline glance of approval. :paw: Sorta like the Good Housekeeping seal, but different.;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Laurie has the right idea. Two coats of Bins should do the trick. If you don't have enough sitting around, leave the bookcases in a safe place where the odor isn't bothersome until you can afford to purchase more. Paint is not enough. Take it from someone who knows. Don't skimp, and take your time. Caulk any cracks and make sure to get every surface, including the bottom. You really don't want your pet to get any ideas. Cats will definitely mark to re-establish territory they think has been invaded. It's in their nature.

I had a cat once that marked the entire perimeter of the living room in our new house. I cried a river! We ended up stripping up the carpet and sealing the plywood subfloor with Kilz before putting in new carpet. Our cat ended up living outside. She's lucky I didn't kill her with my bare hands! Now, she's gone, and while I miss her very much, there will be no more cats!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Laurie has the right idea. Two coats of Bins should do the trick. If you don't have enough sitting around, leave the bookcases in a safe place where the odor isn't bothersome until you can afford to purchase more. Paint is not enough. Take it from someone who knows. Don't skimp, and take your time. Caulk any cracks and make sure to get every surface, including the bottom. You really don't want your pet to get any ideas. Cats will definitely mark to re-establish territory they think has been invaded. It's in their nature.

I had a cat once that marked the entire perimeter of the living room in our new house. I cried a river! We ended up stripping up the carpet and sealing the plywood subfloor with Kilz before putting in new carpet. Our cat ended up living outside. She's lucky I didn't kill her with my bare hands! Now, she's gone, and while I miss her very much, there will be no more cats!

sounds like you might have had MY CAT, lol. Mine did the same thing, we had to boot her outside too. Her name was shanged from Suxy-Q to Stinky Pew

Good luck with your cases. I think there has been bunches of great advise.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I don't remember what it's called. But you should be able to find this at a home improvement store. It's a product that you paint onto wood (it's originally used for wood floors under carpet) and it pretty much seals the odor underneath the varnish. If I remember the name, I'll PM you.

Nevermind-people posted the name as I was typing the original message. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'd try some enzymatic cleaner like you use on carpeting and floors to get pet odors out. I'd have never thought of sealing it in!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts