Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is a true thing or not. i don't have a cell phone, so I know nothing about them. THis was emailed to me, and I thought I would share it. If it isn't true, go ahead and let us know, because there may be someone that doesn't know. ANyhow, i thoought i'd share, so here's what I was emailed:

Subject: Fwd: : We didn't know about this......
Hope I'm not repeating myself - if so - have a laugh on my PMS.
I thought this was good to know.......
FOR ALL INDIVIDUALS WITH CELL PHONES

I never even knew about this #77 feature ! This actually happened to someone's daughter. Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college. This story
takes place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. It was the Saturday before New Year's and it was about 1 PM in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving
to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and
put his lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (high school and college age) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a gas station, etc. So Lauren had actually listened to her parent's advice, and promptly called #77 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right
away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't and he told her to keep driving, remains calm and that he had back up already on the way. Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground...the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes. I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car.
Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a
"safe" place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call #77 like
Lauren did. Too bad the cell phone companies don't give you this
little bit of wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let your friends know about #77. This is good information that I did not know ! ! ! ! Please pass on to any females that you know

That was the email i was sent.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Here is the information from www.urbanlegends.com

So does this email offer sound advice? Taken as a whole, the Urban Legend Zeitgeist would have to say it could have been better done.

The email offers two pieces of substantive advice: calling #77 will connect you to the state police and if pulled over in an isolated area at night, you should proceed to well-lit, populated area.

Given that #77 is not universally available, better advice would have been to dial 911.

Crimes have been committed by people posing as policemen in unmarked police cars. And many police departments do recommend that if pulled over in secluded area at night that you drive slowly to the nearest safe area. Police also recommend indicating your intentions by turning on your emergency lights or turn signals. But this advice gets short shrift in the email's dramatic account but it's really the more important. It can be applied even if you don't have a cell phone or are in an area where #77 doesn't work.

Of course a sober description of what emergency telephone numbers and advice on how to handle being stopped by an unmarked police car would lack the dramatic zip of the email warning. Urban legends - and their first cousins, email scarelore - are often cautionary tales. And we're more likely to remember a dramatic story - whether or not it's true - than unadorned advice.
Thanks for the heads up though Melissa.:D

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
You can also call *HP to connect with the Highway Patrol. I used that the night that dang deer used my car to commit suicide.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, BTW.... all official emergency vehicles are required to have a BLUE light, red ones can be bought at Wal-Mart..... That doesn't mean that one with a blue light is automatically safe, it does mean be suspect of any red or yellow alone.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This reminds me of something I heard on the radio a few years ago... the segment was called "Knuckleheads in the News".

Some guy went out and got himself one of those red dash mounted lights and decided to try to pull someone over. Well, the one guy he decided to pull over was an actual cop, out of uniform, headed home from work. :bang:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts