Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not for nothing, but when I was a kid there were a handful to choose from not an entire aisle of cereals. What are some of your favorites and what did you like as a kid?

I like any of the natural types.
Gabe bought honeycomb cereal this week and that made me laugh. The "honeycombs" looked so small. I remembered them being bigger. (remember the commercial?) LOL

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
LOL about the honeycombs, yes I do remember!!

I actually love honeycombs but don't buy them that often. I am an oatmeal kind of girl with fruit on top. Boring I know.

As a kid a treat was Captain Crunch or Fruit Loops and that was very rare, usually it was Corn Flakes or Shreddies!:smball:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
As a kid, all we had was oatmeal and puff wheat. To this day, I can't eat either.

We purchased Cheerios and Corn Flakes, but I'm not a cereal type of person. Both boys love oatmeal but dd hates it.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I love wheaties, wheat chex, cracklin oat bran, special k, honey nut cheerios, cheerios, frosted shredded mini wheats, the big shredded wheat squares, grape nuts, oh I could go on and on :D
I just get whatever of the ones I like are on sale and that I have a coupon for.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
As a child, I usually ate rice krispies or cornflakes, but most of the time it was cream of wheat. Now I don't eat any cereal, just cream of wheat or oatmeal occasionally. I think I have developed a milk intolerance.

Have you ever left the honeycomb in the milk for a long time? They shrink! You'd think they would expand.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We ate the huge Nabisco shredded wheat biscuits served with butter and warm milk, topped with brown sugar. My favorite was Boo Berry. We eat puffed rice and grits now - we have been diagnosed with celiac sprue (wheat allergy). A real bummer since I finally found a store that carries Boo Berry.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
We always had Rice Krispies or Cherrios when I was a child. My mom always had bananas to go in them too. Now I buy Malt-O-Meal bagged cereal or Quaker bags. They are usually a decent price so I let DD pick out the ones she wants.

·
Registered
325 Posts
As a kid I loved shredding the inside of my mouth on Cap'n Crunch. I loved Buckwheats. They don't make those anymore. In the last few years it was Smart Start for me for a while. Now, I've got some serious hypoglycemic stuff (pregnancy induced, i guess) so i'm eating a cereal called Hi- Lo from Back to Nature. Not bad, really. Dh is addicted to Honeynut Cheerios and dd's is Frosted Cheerios.

·
27,948 Posts
:rainote: Honeycombs big, yeah yeah yeah. It's not small,no no no. Honeycombs got a big big taste, big big taste in a big big bite....
As a kid I liked cocoa puffs, lucky charms, cap'n crunch...
As an adult I like Life, W*Mart granola stuff,some honeycombs now and then.
Hot cereals~ I love grits with salsa & cheese for breakfast.:D

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Capt Crunch was my fav and I have the scars in my mouth to prove it...... My kids get whatevers on sale or deal..... Right now we have 8 boxes of Honeycombs (5 are berry blast), 2 boxes of Cherrios shaped like numbers...... 3 big boxes of corn flakes, 4 boxes Tony The Tiger cinnamon crunchers.... so I try to change them up...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
O, we love cereal here. :) Before I learned to cook, cereal was our breakfast and supper. lol

Some of our favorites:
Honeycombs
Cocoa Krispies
Frosted Mini Wheat
Frosted Chex

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
For me it was Alpha-bits

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Geesh, I'm boring. I like plain Cheerios. A few years ago- there used to be a cereal called Country Inn Specialties (I think it was put out by Kellogg's) It was about $5.00 for about 4 bowlfulls. It was to die for. DH KNEW not to go near it- he'd eat the whole box in one sitting if I let him.

You know the big serving bowls that come with some dish sets? Well, that's DH's cereal bowl. So for him- I get whatever name brand I can get for $1-$1.50 a box. I refuse to pay more the way he goes through it.

Laura

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I too was a Capt Crunch eater. Also I loved Corn Pops. Now I rarely eat cereal except as a late night snack. My dd prefers plain old Cherios over all the rest :) SO alternates between Life and Mini Shredded Wheats. He eats it out of big, big bowls too.

Pat

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I have mouth scars from Apple Jacks :toothy:

As a kid I liked Apple Jacks, Lucky Charms, Froot Loops, Fruity Pebbles, Alpha Bits...

As an adult, I like Apple Jacks, Lucky Charms, Froot Loops, Fruity Pebbles, Alpha Bits...

Froot Loops are another one for the mouth scars, lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was never a big cereal eater as a child. However my boys and my dh eat cereal like its going to be gone forever tomorrow! Its a staple in this house. I would have to say their favorites would range from Cookie Crisp, Captain Crunch, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cocoa puffs, Cheerios and Lucky Charms but I wont buy the Lucky charms anymore because I just find a box full of the cereal minus the marshmallows. Grrrr...

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I like unsugared cereals- Grapenuts, Special K, Life-

As a kid, no cereal at our house except an occasion treat of Shredded Wheat (the HUGE biscuits) or oatmeal. Usually we had toast for breakfast or pancakes.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
As a kid, I loved, Lucky Charms, Capt. Crunch, Count Chocula, Frosted Flakes, Rice Krispies and Frosted Shredded Wheat. Now, I rarely eat cold cereal, but I ocassionaly eat, Rice Krispies and Raisin Bran.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Does anyone remember when fruit loops only had three colors? It wasn't that long ago, well 10 years I guess. My boys loved it. They won't eat it now. Too many flavors and some don't seem a very good mix. I wish they'd go back to the originals.

My husband also eats from a large bowl with a large spoon! I was teased at my bridal shower about needing a really big bowl for his cereal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts