Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay ladies, I am ready to do something I've put off for a very long time, and in challenging myself, I'm challenging you to challenge yourselves as well. (Sheesh...I don't think I've written the word 'challenge' so many times in my life!)

Two years ago, when I was on maternity leave from teaching, I started to write a book. Not a short story, but a novel. Then, when I went back to work, it got saved to a computer disk and hasn't been looked at since. Truth be told, I think it's a great book and I think people would buy it. However, I keep making excuses as to why I can't finish it.

Well, this past weekend, a woman from my church had her first book published and I am inspired. One of the things I kept saying was that it was pointless to keep writing it because I didn't know the right avenues to getting it published. Well, now I have someone to talk to and a resource for getting this information. No more procrastinating. I'm going to do it.

So, here is my pact with myself. I am going to write at least one chapter a week. I don't think that this is too big of a goal. It's manageable and I can do it if I stick with it.

I would love to ask you all to join me. Is there anything you've been putting off doing, for whatever reason? It can be as small as cleaning out the hall closet to as big as registering to take classes to finish a degree. I would love some companions as I challenge myself and I hope you all will join me!

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Good for you Amy, I am so proud of you!! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smball: :smball: :smball:
Hmmm..I have always wanted to continue with my folk art painting....I did alot of it before Delaney was born and when she was just a wee baby. I loved it and I have found a place that has classes every Wed. night for $9.00. You bring whatever you are working on and they supply everything else, paints, brushes...you have me thinking again!!!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Good for you Amy - remember when you get your book published, we all get a copy - DEAL!!!!

Let me think on this one. I'm going to definitely challenge myself with something, just not sure what yet. I need to find something out here in my area and I know just what it might be. In fact, I'm going to phone about it as soon as I get off the computer. I've always wanted to learn to make porcelain dolls - hmmm it might be too late to take a course now though, but I will definitely sign up for one as soon as I can do it. In the mean time, I think I'll find some patterns to make the clothes for the dolls. (I'll let you know the outcome of the phone call.)

Heather, you go girl. I know you can do it too.

Amy - great thread!!

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Okay Amy - I'm with you. I made the phone call and I'm registered to take a beginner's class in 2 weeks. The doll I'll be making is named "Sugar Britches". The course is $75.00.

Woo hoo, you gave me the incentive to do it!!!!

Hope there are more signing up for this challenge. It'll be fun.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoo-hoo! I'm so excited you ladies are joining me! Anyone else?

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Way to go CJ, that sounds great!! Sugar Britches sounds country like!! I think it's nice to have a night/afternoon out and it's been SOOOOOOOOOO long!!:smball:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Carolyn, you can do it. I know you can and were here to give you that little push.

This challenge is going to be great!!!

Come on everyone, challenge yourself.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
You are so talented Carolyn, you sure can do it and like CJ said we are always here to give you encouragement!!!!:smball:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Ok Amy, I have been putting off finishing my teaching degree. I make up so many excuses as to why i can't go back and finish college. I happen to have received the package from the school I work out the other day for the exemption....where the school pays for your classes towards your teaching degree. Why not take them up on this and finish? I am sure I could come up with a dozen reasons why I couldn't and a dozen more why I should. I am going to fill out the paper work tomorrow and turn mine in and begin in the fall. I have really been struggling with wether I should or shouldn't!

Thanks for challenging me!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I want in too. I just have to figure out what i wanted to do, So that is what i will figure out. and then maybe i can get that bedroom finished too.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Great idea Amy! Actually, I did the same thing...I was laid off 2 yrs ago and began to write a romance novel...You guessed it ....got back to work and kept making excuses.

I also used to paint landscapes...sigh...I reallllllly miss this one! I haven't painted in nearly 5 yrs.

I will make it a point to challenge myself to do at least 2 hrs a week in one or both of these activities...Now I just have to find the time...ROFLMAO

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The minute I read this I knew what I wanted to do!We've been hesitating selling our home and buying a new one and I've been hesitating from baking from scratch cause well i'm not the best cook.Also the same with hm cleaners,been slacking a bit.These all go hand in hand so I'm going to challenge myself to bake from scratch(actually do it instead of looking a recipies andsay hmm that could be fun.And to start really saving money to buy our dream home.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tonight it starts!!! Dh has hockey, so after we put dd to bed, I'm busting out my laptop (I was on the technology committee for the school district and got it free) and re-reading what I've written so far and adding to it. I'm excited! How are your projects coming along?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Mine doesn't start for 2 -3 weeks, as soon as she calls me. This is a long dream I had and dh is backing me all the way.

How about we start a new thread each week to say how were doing? Amy, you'll have that book published in no time.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree! I think we should do it at the end of the week so everyone has the week to get moving on their pet project. I'll be out tomorrow night, so I'm going to start this weeks post right now, but usually we can do it on Saturdays. Great idea!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
homesteadmamma said:
Oh Michelle, thats so exciting. You can do it and will all be here cheering you on.
Thank you CJ. I made the first step today. I posted about it in the weekly challenge post.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I think you ladies are brilliant!!! To actually DO something to change is scary and very inspiring.

I have loads I 'should' do - unfortunately there mostly things I don't really want to, that's why I keep putting them off! I'd need LOTS of nagging to stay with the programme LOL.

I NEED to make some serious money now DH is back and all my benefits stop! I was thinking of getting back into eBay seriously, like listing at least 6 items per day. Up until now though I haven't done anything!

I really need to do this but I'm finding it hard to commit.

You all have my complete admiration!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts