Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for me to actually start a challenge thread of my own, you know that I must have an issue - LOL! And here it is: I, as it turns out, am a 'free sample' hoarder. I have at least twenty little packages of various face creams, I don't know how many cleansers, body washes, shampoos, conditioners, toothpastes, perfumes, etc. I think that if I truly knew the numbers that I would bury my head and hide from it again. But I shouldn't. Aside from the space they are taking up in my house, I have not been able to convince myself that there is a legitimate reason to keep them and not use them.

Earlier this year, I finally convinced myself that it was okay to use the free dishwasher detergent samples. I run the dishwasher once each night (off peak hydro) and I had enough samples to last just over a month! :eek: And it occurred to me that if I'm hoarding/saving/keeping the samples, then they are not actually saving me any money or boosting my budget. And the whole point of ordering free samples, accepting free samples, actually coveting free samples is to save money. Duh.

So, this afternoon I very tentatively peeked at some of my stash of H&B samples and realized that it is time. No more saving them. Before they dry up or biodegrade or leak everywhere and make a mess that I really do not want to clean up, I have to use them. I'm starting with only the little packages right now. I'll work my way up to the tiny bottles and containers and tubes. Those are so cute, and I have collected so many of them it's even harder for me to bring myself to use them up. :loser:

My plan is to use this thread to keep track of how many samples I use up and how long it takes me to get through all of them. So today I used:

1 Olay facial wipe wash sample
1/3 Garnier facial serum - only two more uses and it'll be all used up.

Oh boy. I'm beginning to see that this may take a while :bang: My skin better look fabulous with all the attention it'll be getting over the next little while! :drama:

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

T

·
0 Posts
I run into this, too. I wait until my drawers are full to bursting and then take a month and use them all up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Telephus! It's good to know that I'm not alone with this :) I shudder to think just how much is lurking around this house waiting for me to find it - LOL! After this go around, I think I'll make it an annual event.

Oh, and in Friday's mail was a lovely box of, wait for it, more Free Samples! More 'food' for my addiction :thud:

Happy Saturday!

T

·
0 Posts
I also have the same thing with food samples - the random here's a teabag, or a small packet of peanut butter, or one K-cup... and I never seem to use those, either.

Today I started using a small stash of baby lotion samples I got. I never really saw the point of using them on my baby (he doesn't have dry skin) but I can use them myself. I've started using them whenever he takes a bath. I figure I'm stuck in the bathroom anyways, might as well use them!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Save a few of the small bottles that are easy to refill. They are nice for overnight trips to take a small amount of toiletries. I also send the sample size bottles with the guys when they go swimming so they can shower up afterwards. The small lotion bottles are nice to keep in the car or in your purse.

Oh yeah, the shampoo bottles. I filled several up with shampoo and put them in the vehicles. We use them when we have to hit roadside bathrooms that have no soap. I like the ones that have the flip tops rather than the screwtops. The flip tops make it easier to just squeeze out a dollop of soap. They also saved our butts once because a child fell in some mud and had to be scrubbed down before he could be taken home. Shampoo works just fine to take off mud and grime. Though, the poor kid had to ride home in his undies. He covered up with the old sheet that we use as a tablecloth for picnics, so he didn't have to ride home totally almost naked.

·
Super Moderator
1,958 Posts
Oh, ditties!! that is what I call them, as in, they go in your ditty bag. (female version of a shaving kit). I love them and use them up as fast as I can get them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, ditties!! that is what I call them, as in, they go in your ditty bag. (female version of a shaving kit). I love them and use them up as fast as I can get them.
"Ditty" sounds so much sweeter than "Hoard" LOL! I love it and thanks for the idea. Maybe I use this bunch up, I'll start a ditty bag! :idea:

Reactions: ARCMOMMY

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Save a few of the small bottles that are easy to refill. They are nice for overnight trips to take a small amount of toiletries. I also send the sample size bottles with the guys when they go swimming so they can shower up afterwards. The small lotion bottles are nice to keep in the car or in your purse.

Oh yeah, the shampoo bottles. I filled several up with shampoo and put them in the vehicles. We use them when we have to hit roadside bathrooms that have no soap. I like the ones that have the flip tops rather than the screwtops. The flip tops make it easier to just squeeze out a dollop of soap. They also saved our butts once because a child fell in some mud and had to be scrubbed down before he could be taken home. Shampoo works just fine to take off mud and grime. Though, the poor kid had to ride home in his undies. He covered up with the old sheet that we use as a tablecloth for picnics, so he didn't have to ride home totally almost naked.
I'm totally going to refill small bottles for the kids swimming lessons! Right now they are still using baby shampoo, so I can't top up the bottle (I never get baby shampoo samples!) and DH and I use whatever shampoo I can get the very best deal on, and that's not usually the fancy brands that have sent me samples - LOL!

We're heading on a road trip later this week, I'll have to go through and see what samples would be useful and space-saving to bring. Especially for those too frequent trips into mud puddles. My smalls seem to have some kind of magnetic attraction to sticky, mucky or smelly! They have each done a drive or two home in nothing but a diaper or underwear and a smile :crackup:

People on FV are the best - so many helpful ideas :clap:

Day three saw the end of the first Garnier skin serum sample used. I'm not seeing super model results yet, but I found another identical sample, so I'll give it another three days for gorgeous to happen *grin*

T

·
0 Posts
I opened up a bar of soap that DH brought home from a hotel - so I'm on day 2 of using it.

I also find that if I run into shampoo or conditioner that I don't like for whatever reason, I use it as toiler bowl cleaner. Soap is soap, right? And at least my bathroom smells good!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Those shampoo ones that I don't like get put in the little shampoo bottles in the car. I like the idea of cleaning the toilet with them though.

I should probably explain myself a little better. The shampoo and conditioner bottles that the guys take swimming are ones that were kept that were easily refillable. I just keep refilling them. Though, they have taken some that weren't easily refillable. Those get used up and recycled right away. The little bottles are fabulous. In fact, we are taking some with us in a few days. The guys and I are heading down south to a family reunion. We are driving down the day of and driving back the next day. We are taking the bare minimum since we will only need to take a shower before we leave on Friday (five hour car ride with three unshowered teen boys is so not happening!!). We are taking a sample-sized shampoo/conditioner set for the twins to use. It saves tons of room. The rest of us have short hair and just use bar soap on our hair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts