Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chalupa (pink beans & pork roast)

Recipe Description
This is a recipe I picked up from my California Central Coast farmer's market. It has a definite Latin flavor. I don't like the amount of salt that the recipe calls for so I personally cut it drastically. I gave you the orig. amount but put what I did on the side.​
Preparation Steps:
Sort and rinse beans. Put all ingredients except corn chips in Dutch oven, an electric crock pot or heavy kettle.​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
5.5 hours​
Ingredients:
1 lb. dry pink beans
3 lbs. pork roast
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon salt (I think this is a lot, so I only did 1/8 of a tablespoon)
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
corn chips​
Serves:
6-8​
Directions:
Sort and rinse beans. Put all ingredients except corn chips in Dutch oven, an electric crock pot or heavy kettle. Add 7 cups of water. Cover and simmer about 5 hours, or until roast falls apart and beans are done. Uncover and cook about 1/2 hour to desired thickness. Serve with corn chips and pass condiments for choice of toppings:
(chopped tomato, avocado, onion, shredded lettuce, grated cheddar cheese, taco sauce or other hot sauce.)

Recipe from:
Lompoc Valley Seed & Milling
1119 W. Laurel Ave., Lompoc, CA 93436​

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I served this for dinner tonight. It's a keeper in our house. I pulled the bone out of the roast and then shredded the pork and then mixed all of it together before serving it. IMO, you def. don't need to put a full tbsp. of salt in this recipe. I personally wouldn't do more than 1/2 tbsp. (that's if you like salt). It's a great recipe for having leftovers.

I bought my pork roast on sale and had a 4 lb. roast for a bit over $5. and my pink beans were 2 lbs. for $2.50 at the market. I think with all the ingredients my total cost was less than $10 and this makes at least enough to eat dinner twice for a family of 4 IMO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts