Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an online moneymarket account with $15K earning 1 percent interest - this is my emergency fund. I went to bankrate.com to check CD rates and other moneymarket rates. Capital one has an online MM account earning 1.6 percent - so basically I'd make about 35 percent more interest. But, at such a small amount it would mean the difference between earning $8 a month interest and earning $12 a month interest. Is it even worth me switching? I'm thinking no.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for where to keep emergency $ that might make more $? 6-month CDs are earning about the same. I need to keep it liquid, as it is an emergency fund. I just hate to see it sitting there earning so little.

·
Registered
867 Posts
what about putting some of it in a CD and laddering it? that way most of the money could be liquid with the rest gaining a decent amount of interest. I know that ING has a 12 month CD for 2%. Not sure on the minimum tho.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
you can also get 1.55% interest in an orange savings account at ING if you don't want to do cd's...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts