Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am in the process of changing out the seasonal clothing. I always like to wash my clothes before putting them away. Have read numerous times on this site to use vinegar in the washing machine to freshen and soften the clothing. Finally decided to do this. Really does help and so glad that I finally did this. I have a couple of gallon jugs of vinegar so will definately be using it for the laundry more often now.

·
8,714 Posts
~I am going to do this this weekend since Fall will be officially starting.
I wash everything that's being put away(even if it was "clean" in a drawer because I sometimes put away things I wore once to wear again and forget to keep track or it may have creepy crawlies or something)and everything for the new season(been in storage). It's a big job and usually takes a week of laundry to get everything switched out.
I'm not looking forward to it. :( ~

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I just did this as well last weekend. I am moving next spring so I have washed up and put all the tank tops that I will not use for layering (I only like certain styles when I layer), shorts, capri's and also summer pajamas aside in a tote and I am going to use them as packing material. They have to be moved, too, so I'm putting them to double-duty.

·
Banned
952 Posts
I just been working on this for the last two days. If I had as much space as my husband I wouldn't have to do this every season. I still have a couple more totes to do and then it's just the heavier coats, but I won't need those for a couple more months. It has to be way below freezing for me to put on a coat. I get by with sweaters and ski-bands lol.
The cold doesn't bother me much. Just if my nose and ears get cold.
I wear tank tops all year round myself. I just change out some of the lighter more summery ones for the ones more earth tone in color. I use a button down shirt to go over them in the cooler weather.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I've been working on it slowly. I insist DH takes care of his own. If he ends up with only muscle shirts in the winter......too bad, so sad! :D

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I really hate this job.Even though it is fall and cool today yesterday it was 94. So you really have to keep some of both ready. I have 2 pairs of sweat pants out and 2 sweat shirts. 2 cardiagans sweaters out.
Hubby has work jeans out a few hoodies I bought him this summer.
I think I probably going to have to purchase swaet pants for me a few pairs of jeans for hubby to do outside nastiness in lol. But it is a very hard job.
I believe in totes 1 very large person and when it gets full then it is time to purge. Hubby does have 2 one for good one for work

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't say I enjoy all the purging, sorting, coin collecting for laundry, folding, and lifting heavy boxes, to change out the seasonal clothing. Right now I need to wait until October to get more quarters to finish all the laundry. Atleast I have a good start.

·
Registered
504 Posts
SLowly, very slowly I am getting the packing away completed. I am trying to be very deligent and not pack anything that I will not wear next spring/summer. I HATE trying on clothes, depressing if they still don't fit, any there are a lot that are too small. Working on them again today..hopefully finish.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I can't imagine having enough clothing to make this major job. I will spend about 5 minutes throwing shorts in a bin and putting boots in the closet.

Not yet though - it finally warmed up here!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
have to start this week! i wash it when i pull it back out as my clotig (or most of it i should say) is in a cedar closet.

i will be purging all seasons that i have not worn in two yrs. this past summer i made $90 consigning. hoping for the same for fall and winter clothing that is still up to date but i have not worn...

·
8,714 Posts
I can't imagine having enough clothing to make this major job. I will spend about 5 minutes throwing shorts in a bin and putting boots in the closet.
~It's not necessarily the amount of clothes, it's where the off-season ones are stored(outside shed), how different in climate the off-season is, how much space I have to put an entire family's worth of clothes, and determining what is worth putting away until next year and what of what I pull out is sized right for this year.
We have 7 linear feet of closet and less than 20 drawers for everyone and everything, including bulky coats! That's 4 drawers and 1.5 feet of closet per person. If we had larger closets or more storage inside, the process wouldn't be so time consuming.
In the summer I have 4 pairs of shorts, 10 pairs of pants/jeans/slacks and 4 skirts. I have 5 tank tops, 8 t-shirts and 3 dressy tops. I have 4 summer dresses. I have three cardigans and one hoodie. I have 4 nightgowns and 2 summer pj sets. This covers my junky at-home stuff, exercise wear and my going out clothes.
DH wears the same clothes year round(he doesn't care about the cold very much). He just layers on a polar fleece. He has 4 of those in the shed and 6 pairs of lounging pants.
All of DH's clothes fit in 6 drawers.
All of ds and dd #1's clothes fit in 6 drawers.
The baby's clothes are in a laundry basket on a shelf.
I think this is very minimalistic.
I keep the house very cool in the winter to save money so we need sweaters. I have 6 of those in the shed along with 6 long sleeve t-shirts, 3 sets of winter pj's and a fleece robe. There are also coats, scarves, hats, gloves and slippers.~

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I guess I will put this in the 'benefits' column of living in a place where it rarely ever gets hot, we only need one wardrobe. I wear a sweater 365 days a year.

The only thing that is packed up for the summer is snow gear.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Hey there I just wanted to say that instead of packing my clothing I have been given a lot of Space Bags by the BF so I sealed them up with those instead, wow those are great!! So my tank tops and sundresses are sealed up ready for the move, will do shorts, capris, and summer pajama wear in another bag (first bag was full) and they are going to take up so much less space this way! TRY IT! Yes, they will be wrinkled but the space saved and bug-free is SO WORTH IT for me!

Reactions: l8eebugg
1 - 14 of 14 Posts