Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
Last year, I made quite a few knitted hats and gave them to charity. This year no. I came to the conclusion I need the money more in my own pocket, and or I should not be spending my time doing something that is not profitable.
I still make hats for family members. Makes for a inexpensive gift. A few end up in barter situations.
I will probably still do a few for charity, but not the extent I have done in the past.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
I know of groups that collect knitted items, and fleece caps for cancer patients, and make quilts for wounded vets and for children taken by the police in emergency situations.

I used to work with a woman who refurbished dolls, cleaned them like new and made clothes and a quilt for them, and gave them to a charity that served underprivileged children.

This fall I collected a large bag of fabric that is going to one of our local quilting groups to be made into charity quilts. I need to get it out and wash it first.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
19,119 Posts
Great ideas. I would like to make some quilts for charity.

·
2,688 Posts
Another thing one can do is charity work for animal shelters. If you make a small quilted type pad, it could go be for a cat or dog. And nothing fancy. Could even recycle old jeans into a crazy combination. Or just 2 outside layers and a inner cushion type material. Think something that would wash and dry easy.

We have a local real estate office that is taking in hat and mittens to be donated locally.

One church here has a lady who works with new moms. I did donate quite a few baby hats to this one.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
I do several charities -- each has their own needs and regulations about what they can/can not accept.

Pine Ridge Reservation - will accept just about anything. . . from infants to elders, house hold (pot holders, curtains, etc.) blankets, and so forth.

Balboa's Babies - infant layettes, preemie to 3 month sizes.

Military gift packages - helmet lines, socks, etc. Check to see the regulations for color, yarn content, etc.

Those are the 3 that are near and dear to my heart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.