Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, when I was pregnant with Dd, 10 years ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a Charley Horse in my calf. It hurt like I can't even describe. I started eating a banana every day, and did that with my next two pregnancies, also ate tons of bananas, and never had a problem again.

Last year, I developed a sensitivity to bananas, and can no longer eat them, as they give me terrible stomach cramps. I'm now 8 months pregnant, and literally jumped out of bed with a Charley Horse in my calf the other night. I could not straighten my foot, and my calf hurt SO badly! Dh thought I was having contractions, but once he realized what was going on, he came over and pushed my foot up to release the cramp.

However, since then, my calf has been killing me. It's no longer cramped, but it still hurts like crazy all the time! The problem is that I can't eat bananas anymore, so I don't know what to do.

Any advice???

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I found this.

HIGH potassium (more than 225 milligrams per 1/2 c. serving)

These foods would be beneficial to athletes or to others who incur heavy fluid loss. Patients on potassium-restricted diets should avoid them, or eat them sparingly, as advised by their nutritionist.

All meats, poultry and fish are high in potassium.

Apricots (fresh more so than canned)

Avocado

Banana

Cantaloupe

Honeydew

Kiwi

Lima beans

Milk

Oranges and orange juice

Potatoes (can be reduced to moderate by soaking peeled, sliced potatoes overnight before cooking)

Prunes

Spinach

Tomatoes

Vegetable juice

Winter squash

MODERATE (125 - 225 mg per serving)

These foods can be a large part of most people's balanced nutrition plan. Persons restricting their potassium might be cautioned to include no more than one or two servings from this list per day, depending on their medical restrictions.

Apple juice

Asparagus

Beets

Blackberries

Broccoli

Carrots

Cherries

Corn

Eggplant

Grapefruit

Green peas

Loose-leaf lettuce

Mushrooms, fresh

Onions

Peach

Pears

Pineapple

Raisins

Raspberries

Strawberries

Summer squash, including zucchini

Tangerines

Watermelon

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ok, don't think I am crazy, but I was having trouble with cramps in my legs this past year, and my dad told me to put a bar of soap in the bed with me..so I put one between the flat sheet and the bed..I also used a well used bar so it wouldn't stick up so much..I thought it was crazy but , hey , wouldn't hurt anything...so I did...guess what??? No more cramps...I have since told several others this and they tried it too, most everyone has said it has helped!!! Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
When I was pregnant I used to get them also. The Dr. told me if I could walk enough to get to the bathtub to press my leg against the coldness of the side of the tub and that it would often release the cramp. I found it did work about 1/2 the time.

Reactions: AmyBoz

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's definitely the potassium. That I know. I don't seem to get the same protective effects from the other potassium rich foods.

Bar of soap, huh? Maybe I'll give it a shot!

Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have no advice but lots of sympathy! Ouch - those suckers hurt. You can actually damage the muscle with a severe charley horse, which is why you are still sore from it. Even though it hurts, massage the affected muscle - it's the fastest way to increase the blood flow and help it heal (the muscle that hurts after the charley horse).

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CraftyPam...no, I asked and they won't. Something about my diabetes and those supplements effects on my glucose.

·
19,119 Posts
Amy - sure hopes that something helps and soon!! Please let us know if the soap helps too!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I wonder if it was the potassium in bananas. When I was on dialysis they gave me quinine to fight leg cramps. I have also heard that if you drink more water that will help
I bet it was! AmyBoz, check with your ob/gyn to see if potassium supplements are okay for you to take. And call her/his office on how to treat the residual pain from the charleyhorse, ice or heat?

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ramona, It was the potassium, however, because of my diabetes, I can't take the supplements. Don't know the connection, but that's what they told me.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Hi Amy! :wave:
Spinach is a good source of potassium, but you have to eat tons of it. I have found putting it in a blender with some frozen fruit & OJ is a great way to up my spinach intake (which will, in turn up your potassium intake!)
Also, have you tried to eat a banana since you got pregnant? Nearly all of my food sensitivities disappeared during both of my pregnancies. Just and FYI
Congrats on the new little one, too!!!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Maybe you could try looking up some vegetarian cookbooks. Many times they state to combine foods to get the proper nutrition. Such as beans and rice to get the true protein your body needs. I have heard that spinach should be eaten with a citrus fruit such as lemon or orange to help get the proper nutrients. Maybe there is a combination that will help you get the potassium you need.

Hope you get some relief from the cramps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try eating a spoonful of yellow mustard. I have read online and had an elderly friend tell me that it works great for her and she has MS. I haven't tried it yet because I don't have that problem very often.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Plantar Fasciitis Brace

Since you can't take supplements, how about approaching it more mechanically? I have PF in my foot and sleep with a brace that keeps my foot flexed and also keep my calf stretched out.

Maybe it could help!!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
when i use to get them i flexed my foot toes towards my head and then away until it loosed up.

i have tons of diabetic pts that take potassium tablets but they are not pregnant as they are over 65 lol

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Orange juice for Potassium. I was told it was the next best thing to bananas. I know you probably can't drink a lot of it, but maybe a couple of ounces with each meal...space it out.

Muscle cramps can also be related to calcium. Check your prenatal vitamin for % of daily requirement, and maybe get an extra dairy portion in your diet, if it allows.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Calcium and/or magnesium deficiency can also be at fault. Milk has good amounts of both minerals.

If I don't get enough calcium and magnesium, I first get wicked muscle cramps at night (in multiple muscles in my legs and feet), that can last for 30 minutes or more. Then if I don't address it at that point by increasing my calcium and magnesium intake, I next get heart palpitations.

So when I start getting cramps, I increase my milk intake and it usually takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
morton lite salt, or morton salt substitute. i prefer the morton lite salt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.