Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I decided to use some more of his airline miles and take a trip for our anniversary (our 22nd!). I have never been east, so we decided to go to the NC/Virginia area. Have any ideas for things we can do on the cheap there? We do plan to visit the Biltmore Estate...I know, not so cheap, but my brother has discount tickets for us, woohoo. Other than that we are clueless as to what to do. Are there some must sees? There is a Walton's Museum I would like to visit, anyone been? Is it worth the drive? It's like $6/person, I totally love the Waltons, so think it would be cool even if its small and cheesey. We are outdoorsy people and enjoy history as well. TIA for any suggestions!

5,280 Posts
Would Montecello be within driving distance? It is incredible to see the Jefferson home, the gardens, the kitchen, etc.

Reactions: sdrjeolsen

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm going to check both of those out. :) I did find a great site www.tripadvisor.com You can put in a city, state destination and it gives the top 100 nearby attractions as rated by travelers. We used it in Florida this past week, seems like a great site. Thanks again for the recommendations!

· Registered
689 Posts
I am from Va...moved away just last year. (plan on going back, too!!!)

The waltons museum I think is in Nelson Co...and Nelson Co itself is worth the drive, beautiful Mtns!

You really need to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway/SKyline Drive and see the magnificent scenery.

Va is Beautiful and there are so so many places to visit!! Exactly what town are you going to in Va?

· Registered
3,292 Posts
colonial williamsburg
jamestown
monticello
mount vernon
appalachian mountains - cades cove

· Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Va is Beautiful and there are so so many places to visit!! Exactly what town are you going to in Va?

We're not sure yet. Actually visiting my brother in Columbus, NC, but wanted to see VA as well, we have no other things planned there yet besides the Waltons's Museum. Thanks everyone for the great ideas.

10,111 Posts
~I'll second Skyline Drive. We camp in the Shenendoah National Park almost every year. The hiking is fantastic too. Some are very easy and have spectacular mountain top views. Most of the waterfall hikes are beautiful too but more difficult. I didn't see you mention what time of year you're going but October is just amazing with the fall foliage! If you're at all into wine, most wineries offer free tastings without an appointment. Vineyards are very pretty and romantic.~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.