Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheap and Easy Tomato Sauce

Recipe Description
I have tomatoes coming out my ears and they are super cheap at the farmer's market just now so here is a super simple, super tasty pasta sauce. This makes two to three cups of sauce depending on your tomatoes. Just double up if you have more people.​
Preparation Steps:
Grow your own tomatoes, get them from neighbors or buy them cheap at the farmer's market. Don't use supermarket tomatoes. They are not ripened properly and your sauce will not taste good.​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
1 hour​
Ingredients:
2 lbs fresh tomatoes
5 tbsp butter
1 onion
parmesian cheese (optional)​
Serves:
1/2 cup​
Directions:
Wash and cut your tomatoes in half. Place them in a sauce pot on medium for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until they soften and the skin starts to separate.

Run the tomatoes through a food mill with largest screen into a clean pan. Add 5 tbsp butter and one onion quartered.

Cook at the lowest heat you can manage and maintain a small simmer for at least 45 minutes. When done fish out the onion quarters and toss with hot pasta and you are done.

(Being frugal I generally chop the onion and leave it in, but for onion haters the original method perfumes the sauce with onion flavor but has none of the icky texture)​

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it freezes nicely.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
This sounds great, although I think I'll dice the onions and use an immersion blender to make a sauce smooth...or just leave it a bit chunky.

Thanks so much for sharing!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
this sounds great. Tomatoes from the garden don't need that much to taste good. I hate when winter comes and those nasty tomatoes. I am glad that I have some canned. I hope to get some more canned before they are all gone from the vines.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
This sounds great! Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts