Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just "rediscovered" fried rice as a main dish. I can use very little meat, toss in a lot of the veggies I have on hand and Dh ate it and liked it! It was delicious and inexpensive, and made so much he took some for lunch. ;)

Fried Rice as a Meal

3 - 4 cups cold steamed rice
1- 2 TBS of oil (organic virgin coconut oil is awesome but vegetable oil will do)
1 TBS grated ginger root (keep in the freezer wrapped tight in plastic wrap in a baggie and grate frozen - it lasts for months and months).
1 TBS of finely minced garlic (I use a garlic press).
1/4 to 1/2 tsp hot chili paste or any heat you like (optional)
1 chopped onion

Any Left-over Meat Additions:
About 1/2 - 1 cup cup of any cooked meat chopped up.
Example: crumbed bacon, chicken, ham, beef, sandwich meat

Any Vegetables (my favorites)
1 grated carrot
1 cup of frozen peas
1 cup chopped sweet peppers (I used red)
1 cup of canned corn

Extra Vegetables:
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
2 TBS of finely chopped parsley or cilantro
1-2 cups of baby spinach leaves (optional) - (heat should wilt leaves but not cook them).

Optional Finish Sauce
3 TBS Hoisin sauce
2 TBS soy Sauce
couple pinches of 5 spice powder

OR just sprinkle with soy sauce.

• Fluff rice and let it cool down. Left over rice is great for this.

• In a large frying pan or wok, on low heat added about 1-2 TBS of organic virgin coconut oil or vegetable oil.

• Add 1TBS of grated fresh ginger root and 1 TBS of finely minced garlic to the oil and stir. If you like it a bit spicy add 1/4 teaspoon of chili paste, red pepper flakes, jalepeno (whatever you got) to the oil.

• Add chopped onion to the oil and stir. Let onion soften a bit, then add Left Over Meat and stir.

• Then add any vegetables you have and let soften slightly for a few minutes.

• Fold in the Rice and heat through

• Fold in the Extra Vegetables

• Add in the Optional Finish Sauce or just sprinkle with soy sauce, mix thoroughly and serve.

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Sounds great! I make something similar at least once a week to use up all the left over veggies and stuff. I usually scramble an egg and put that in as well.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I add scrambled egg to. We usually have this to use up any leftovers, especially rice.

I usually add soy sauce and some terriyaki sauce and a bit of garlic powder to mine for flavoring.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
It's like to use a mixture of white and brown rice. Toasted sesame seed is a nice addition, but you have to add enough or it's not noticeable. I recently bought a couple of pounds in bulk, precisely with fried rice in mind.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yes - an egg! I also add one - just forgot to put it in the recipe! :thud:

Recipe update
: Move food to the sides of the pan, cook egg in the middle like a scrambled egg and mix in! For this recipe I added a little soy sauce and pepper to the egg first. If the eggs really fresh I'll also add a splash of water to the egg when beating it but before scrambling. :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
This sounds great! I have actually never made fried rice before. I have made other stir fries, just not with rice. I will have to try this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts