Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas? We have some friends who want to come over. DH is putting in a request for a chocolate cake with custard filling, or a Boston Cream Pie. Should be yummy! I know what I'll be baking Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon! I'm trying to think of a frugal, but celebratory menu to suit the occasion... Should be for 5 people so far...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Chicken is always on sale and a good bargain for a group of people. Have some sort of pasta or rice and a veggie or two on the side and dinner is served. Or if your DH is a meat lover like my DH, you could have taco's and set out lettuce, tomato, cheese, beans... Affordable and fun. Everyone can serve themselves. You could also make a big pot of chili and serve it with cornbread and salad. Hope your DH has a great day and have fun with the party.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Not sure what your DH likes but how about balancing out the decadent dessert with a lighter meal?

Whole wheat pasta with a light tomato sauce/tomato meat sauce/meatballs served with a deluxe green salad? Start with a veggie soup?

Another affordable option - a stir fry? Tons of fresh veggies, thinly sliced cut of meat (beef/chicken) served over steamed rice?

OR have a theme night as the previous posted suggested - Mexican night or try a Vietnamese Pho night!

Maybe use the night to host a 'games' night? Catch up over dinner and games?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
What type of foods does your husband like? You could have surf and turf. London broil and shrimp or fish (crab cake, salmon cake), nice salad, his favorite veggie or roasted potatos. You can make a nice quick butter sauce to drizzle over the fish or meat. If your guests dont mind have them bring some type of food they know your husband likes, if it is a side dish, drink, dessert. Let us know what you decide on. Sounds like fun. Now I am hungry!

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I would keep it casual. Chili has been suggested. Might also get some chicken thighs and make fajita tacos. Or crispy tacos with turkey, and a fixings bar. You could do that in advance and just set it out and warm the meat.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. DH doesn't like seafood, so the surf and turf is out. But the idea of a theme night kind of struck home. We have a Korean boarder and really love Korean food. I'm thinking maybe some beebimbap, or bulgogi. He loves those. And lots of veggies in the beebimbap. Plus we can make it with brown rice. I really like the idea of balancing out the heavy dessert with a light meal. Thanks again all!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hey Peanut, I just learned how to make bulgogi. Here is a recipe for a cheap Korean rice dish. I don't know the name but the person who showed me the recipe said her Korean stepmother showed it to her and that it is a Korean dish.

Here it is:

3 cups cooked white rice (make the day before)
2 carrots shredded
2 stalks of celery diced
1 medium onion sliced
2 cloves of garlic minced
butter
soy sauce
salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley flakes

Heat some butter and olive oil in heat sauce pan. Add carrots, celery and onions and cook until soft. Add garlic and stir for one minute. Add rice and more butter and soy sauce. Add enough soy sauce to turn rice slightly golden. The season with pepper, garlic powder, and parsley flakes.

Basically it will look like a rice pilaf. The butter and soysauce is a really good combination. Everyone I make this for loves it.

You can see if anyone can bring some Korean sake. On youtube they give instructions for wrapping presents in cloth which might be a fun thing to try for your husband. Maybe your Korean boarder could make korean name cards. You could set them at their place setting. Would definately be a good way to set the mood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.