Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you like using reusable bags but really stink at making them (like I do) Dollar General has them for CHEAP...only $1 for 2 bags. They are decent sized. Not as big as the (free) Earthbound ones but I was able to fit two full sized loaves of bread, two pkgs hot dog buns, and two pkgs english muffins in one bag at Aldi.

I'm going back for a few more :)

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo - that's a terrific deal!! Wish we had a dollar store here!!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dollar General isn't a dollar store...more of a discount store. Like Family Dollar, Fred's, and the like.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
thrift shops are also a good place to look for reusable bags. tote bags, backpacks work very well for grocery shopping. i started using my own bags quite a few years ago, before it was in style, when i didn't have a car and either walked or took a taxi. you'd be surprised at how much stuff one can fit into a large backpack. i'm glad stores are finally okay with the bring your own bag thing. at first i got the strangest looks :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, a DG just opened in our small town of 450 people last Thursday, got Libby Veggies yesterday, .80/can and I had a $1 off coupon for 4 cans, for us, it's great, we are about 30 min. from the big stores.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have a bunch of reuseable bags and I didn't pay for any of them. I have sent off for freebies, received them at Home Shows, etc. Heck we were at a motorcycle accessory store and the owner had been given a bunch of them for free. They had advertising for a local company whose owner is in jail for a big ponzi scheme (Stanford). She gave me several. And they are bigger than most of my others.

Bags are stuffed in one bag and hanging on the coat rack by the front door. I just grab them on my way out the door and put them in the truck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a bunch of reuseable bags and I didn't pay for any of them. I have sent off for freebies, received them at Home Shows, etc. Heck we were at a motorcycle accessory store and the owner had been given a bunch of them for free. They had advertising for a local company whose owner is in jail for a big ponzi scheme (Stanford). She gave me several. And they are bigger than most of my others.

Bags are stuffed in one bag and hanging on the coat rack by the front door. I just grab them on my way out the door and put them in the truck.

Duh! What was I thinking, I too have several canvas bags that I received from workshops I attend for my daycare, so here I go into the closet to get them...thanks for sharing this

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I have a few older ones from back in the day...I needed a smaller one so I grabbed an older one not realizing what the company advertised on it was :( A bra manufacturer. Oy!

Needless to say, I have since reversed it so the name is on the inside LOL!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I talked to a woman yesterday who made her bags from fabric leftovers. She cut open a plastic bag and used that for a pattern. The bags hang nicely from the store bag holders - no more reopening the too-large bags when filling them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have made mine out of old blue jean legs for years and like a previous poster, I have done this for years and years and I really did get strange looks.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Also sturdy canvas bags are frequently sold by friends of the library featuring their local library. I use these as well as the advertising bags....

Judi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts