Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I volunteer to run an arts&crafts table at a local event a couple times a year. I run a paint table where kids can sit down and paint for a little while, brushes and paint provided. It's getting to be that time again and I need to locate the cheapest possible source of plastic or plastic coated plates to be used as palettes. Each kid gets a plate with a few pools of paint -- this prevents spills and wasted paint.

All our supplies are donated, but I am buying plates this year. Last year we had bowls donated, which was a nice thought but the paint all ran together and the kids did not like it.

So where can I get the cheapest plates? It really does not matter how cheap they are, as long as they are plastic coated so the paint does not soak into them. We will re-use what we can but end up throwing everything out at the end of the day.

Dollar store? Walmart? Aldi? Any suggestions where the best price can be had?

·
Registered
147 Posts
please consider using some type of recycled or re-purposed containers that can then be recycled. Americans waste so much it's just second nature to most people...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The dollar store has always been the cheapest for me. Amazon might be able to get you a good deal.

The paint is going to keep her from recycling anything. If it was some sort of "green" paint, the plates could be composted.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll try the dollar places first.

We're going to be re-using the plates as much as possible over the weekend, wiping them off when the child is done and putting fresh paint out when they dry, so I hope we're not too wasteful.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I would also say the dollar store. You might also want to put the word out and tell people to save the containers from meat packages. They work great for holding paint! I have also used wax paper as a palette but it would probably be messy for kids and the wind. With Saint Patricks day around the corner you might want to go to the stores after the holiday to stock up on any plastic plates that might be on sale. Even if it says happy saint pattys day on them you can still use them to hold paint!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.