Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this at an other forum, thought I might share with you.

This is a true story, so read it carefully.

On April 24, 2008, I stopped at a Kangaroo BP gas station, located at 1325 Main Street, Cartersville, GA.
My truck's gas gauge was on 1/4 of a tank. I use the mid-grade, which was priced at $3.71 per gallon.
When my tank is at this point, it takes somewhere around 14 gallon's to fill it up.
When the pump showed 14 gallons had been pumped I began to slow it down,
then to my surprise it went to 15, then 16. I even looked under my truck
to see if it was being spilled. It was not. Then it showed 17 gallons
had been pumped. It stopped at almost 18 gallons.
This was very strange to me, since my truck has only an 18 gallon tank.

I went on my way a little confused, then on the evening news I heard a
report that 1 out of 4 gas stations had calibrated their pumps to show
more gas had been pumped than a person actually got.

Here is how to check a pump to see i f you are getting the right amount:

Whichever grade you are using, put EXACTLY 10 GALLONS in your tank,
then look at the dollar amount, if the dollar amount is not EXACTLY 10 times
the price of the fuel you have chosen, then the pumps are rigged. In my
case as I said the mid-grade was $3.71 9/10 per gallon, my dollar amount
for 10 gallons should have been $37.19. If I had only check the pump. It
doesn't matter where you pump gas, p lease check the 10 gallon price. If
you do find a station that is cheating, contact the COMMISSIONER OF
WEIGHTS AND MEASURES IN YOUR AREA

Please don't delete this until you have sent it to all people in your
address book. We need to put a stop to this outrageous cheating of
customers. The gas companies are making enough profits at honest rates.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
i heard this on the news also. and the news station checked some pumps in omaha, sure enough several were rigged.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Strange to read this, because about a week ago I was wondering if something like that could happen. I had pumped gas and it seemed to pump forever and it was the highest I had ever paid for a tank of gas. The price had gone up, of course, overnight, but I still thought it was a lot. Next time, I will be checking.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I always do the math in my head while pumping gas...you just never know and most ppl don't bother to check and it's easy to skim right off the top.

I think sometimes the digital scales in the stores are off too.

·
4,028 Posts
This got my dander up so I did some Googling.

I don't think their mini "test" will tell you anything though. If the pump is told to list the sale price at a specific volume of gas (one gallon) then it will show the price times the number of gallons. It should always be 10 times the sale price when it thinks it has given 10 gallons.

How do we determine if it dispenses a true gallon though? We would need to know how much it actually pumped. The department of weights and measures does this by filling a 5 gallon container that is callibrated to units of cubic inches. We would have to know how much gas is already in our tank and how much we pump into our tank. The guage on our dash is a very rough estimate of volume that is in the tank.

Licensed companies that callibrate gas pumps put a sticker/seal on the pump when they are finished callibrating. ONLY a licensed company is allowed to break the seal. If the seal is broken, then it means that the pump has been tampered with and the callibration may have been "readjusted."

I wonder if those seals are easily visible? I think I'll be looking for them when I fill up next time.

http://kdka.com/seenon/gas.pump.inspection.2.724080.html A recent article that was in the Pittsburg area.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/021308/geo_246359577.shtml

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
How do we determine if it dispenses a true gallon though? We would need to know how much it actually pumped. The department of weights and measures does this by filling a 5 gallon container that is callibrated to units of cubic inches. We would have to know how much gas is already in our tank and how much we pump into our tank. The guage on our dash is a very rough estimate of volume that is in the tank.

Licensed companies that callibrate gas pumps put a sticker/seal on the pump when they are finished callibrating. ONLY a licensed company is allowed to break the seal. If the seal is broken, then it means that the pump has been tampered with and the callibration may have been "readjusted."

I wonder if those seals are easily visible? I think I'll be looking for them when I fill up next time.

http://kdka.com/seenon/gas.pump.inspection.2.724080.html A recent article that was in the Pittsburg area.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/021308/geo_246359577.shtml

Yep.. you need to know the amount of gas that was pumped into the tank.
Obviously, the OP paid for 18 gallons because the pump SAID 18 gallons was put in.. but she knew better. She knew from experience that 14 gallons was about the amount that would fit.
(funny... that you started looking around the tank for a leak! lol)

This is REALLY concerning me.

Especially since.. . how is the average gas consumer to know this?
AND, once the media breaks the story.... that will mean other stations will figure out the loop hole. Obviously... it's catching on.

I will be sure to pass this on. thank you so much for sharing with us.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My dh used to work for a company that owned most of the convenience stores around here. When he heard about customers being ripped off, he said that the state only checks the weights & measures 1-2 times a year. I think they should be checking at least once a month now w/ gas stations getting away with what they are doing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Several years back there was some gas stations that had even found out a way around the checks by the state. They had programmed the pumps the be off by as much as 10% but to be exactly on a 5 gallon increments. It was fopund out because an engineer was watching the display as he pumped and noticed it would slow down at the 5 gallon mark but the sound of the pump would not change. After the 5 gallon mark, the display would speed up again.

The guy actually went home and calibrated a gas can at one gallon increments by weight. Then returned to the gas station and figured out that the machines were rigged. The department of weights and measures now checks the pumps at random volumes instead of the 5 or 10 gallon mark.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, I'll be sure to check next time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Strange to read this, because about a week ago I was wondering if something like that could happen. I had pumped gas and it seemed to pump forever and it was the highest I had ever paid for a tank of gas. The price had gone up, of course, overnight, but I still thought it was a lot. Next time, I will be checking.
I had the exact same experience, and I will be checking as well. Also e-mailing this one out.

Thank you OP! I hadn't heard about this! :yikes:

·
Registered
444 Posts
i heard this on the news also. and the news station checked some pumps in omaha, sure enough several were rigged.
Wow, I'm in North Platte and a very wierd thing happened to me at the pump today. I pumped $45 worth of gas and paid with my debit card at the pump. When the reciept printed off it showed someone elses name and last 4 digits of their card #, and that they pumped $10 worth of gas. When I got home I had hubby check the checking account, and we were only charged exactly $1 for the gas that I pumped!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
The $1 is just a hold until the actual dollar amount clears. Gas stations do a check on your card to make sure it will be approved and then in a couple of days the amount you charged should show up online. But, I would watch it closely. Once at a restaurant, the waitress scanned our card onto somebody elses bill and put our bill on their card. At least that is the story we got from the manager. Their bill was $80ish and ours was $25ish. It took forever to get that mess straightened out. The bill that I signed was for the correct amount plus tip. But, what they charged on our debit card was not right.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Wow, I'm in North Platte and a very wierd thing happened to me at the pump today. I pumped $45 worth of gas and paid with my debit card at the pump. When the reciept printed off it showed someone elses name and last 4 digits of their card #, and that they pumped $10 worth of gas. When I got home I had hubby check the checking account, and we were only charged exactly $1 for the gas that I pumped!!!

The debit was just $1 to make sure the account was good and open.
Then at the end of the day.. the real charges go through.
This explains why people can overdraw- if the charge was $50 and you had $45 in your account- the $1 is approved... but the $50 wouldn't have been.
(at least that's the way it's suppose to work- but I found out the hard way... doesn't matter - "we're not denying it.. we'll just charge you $30!" arrgg!)

Also, it takes a little bit for the receipt to decide it will print for you.
Are you sure they you waited for yours? I've taken a reciept that was left there by the (impatient) one before me. Which, I guess makes me an inpatient one too! LOL

What does your debit say now that a day has passed and it has gone through the bank?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts