Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheeseburger Calzones

Recipe Description
This is the most delicious version of any cheeseburger meal I've ever had. We have it with a side of baked french fries and some steamed green beans. You can add in your other favorite condiments (tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, etc) once they're cooked to golden perfection. My oldest tried dipping his into sour creme and he loved it too! You can serve it with ketchup and mustard on the side, although the ketchup and mustard are included inside each calzone.​
Preparation Steps:
Boil the water.

Thaw the ground beef.

Measure ingredients.

Set up a cutting board and rolling pin.​
Level of Difficulty:
Medium​
Time Needed:
40 minutes total; 20 minutes prep, 20 minutes bake time.​
Ingredients:
1/2 lb lean ground beef
3 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1 teaspoon instant minced onion
2 cups Original Bisquick mix
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon sesame seed, optional​
Serves:
5 calzones​
Directions:
1) Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a 10-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes. Drain. Add ketchup, mustard and onion.

2) In a medium bowl, combine Bisquick and boiling water to form a dough. Divide the dough into five sections and roll into a ball shape, then place back into the bowl. Sprinkle surface of cutting board with Bisquick and roll each dough ball into the Bisquick to coat. Press or roll each ball into 6-inch round segments, about 1/4 inch thick.

3) Spoon beef mixture onto one side of the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the meat mixture. Top beef with cheese and fold other side of dough over meat mixture, covering mixture completely. Press edges with fork to close. Place calzone onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

4) Brush calzones with egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.​

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yum... gonna try this one this week when my DS comes for dinner.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This sounds good. I make something similiar with bread dough, Homemade Pepperoni Pizza Pops, but I like the idea of bisquick for the dough it would be less time consuming and easier to handle. Thanks

·
Freebie Queen
2,691 Posts
This sounds good and not too hard to make, I am going to try these this afternoon since I was already thinking of trying something new today for lunch. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're honestly so full of deliciousness. We had debated putting other things we like on our cheeseburgers inside of it (like bacon, mushrooms, etc.) but I think what makes it really great is the cheddar cheese. I tried a sloppy joe bake once with cheddar cheese in it and it was so delicious.

·
Registered
261 Posts
OK, just made these and man are they good! I changed up a couple of things to go with what I had on hand, used fresh onions(sauted), no ketchup(DH wont eat) and sprinkled a little parmesan cheese on top(no sesame seeds).

I made these for an after school snack for the teens, dont know if there will be any left when they get here, HA!

I can see so many possibilities with this dough, hmmm!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really miss these and so does DS11 because he can't eat Bisquick. :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was wondering if I make up a batch of these can I freeze them before baking? maybe let them thaw and then bake as usual? Would they come out just as good?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure, but probably. We haven't froze them but we've had them in the fridge and DH says they heat up excellently for lunches at work.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I finally made these tonight, dh loved them. I liked them also but it surprised me he liked them so much. Thank you for sharing the recipe, now I have another meal to put in the mix.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks SOOO much...I have ground turkey in the frige that I need to use and this is what I'm gonna use them for...we don't eat much red meat so instead I always sub turkey or chicken....the kiddies will be my testers....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts