Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use chemicals on your lawns or have you gone organic? More and more I'm hearing in the news people are going organic and fighting against companies that use chemicals to spray lawns to make them beautiful. In fact, a number of cities in Canada have now banded the use of chemicals for lawns.

For years, we've never used chemicals on our lawns. We've dug out dandelions and just let the grass grow naturally.

I've always been concerned about the amount of chemicals sprayed on neighbours lawns and in the area we lived in when we were in the city. We don't have that in the country, although the lawns look as good as the city lawns. People just seem to get outside more to work on their lawns, dig the dandelions and they don't cut their lawn as short as in the city.

How about you, chemicals or organic? Your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
We go organic whenever possible. Since we live on a farm, the fertilizer is free. You just have to clean out the barn. Our yard is full of weeds, etc. but as long as its green and not poisonous we leave it alone. We try to not spray the fruit trees because we love to just go outside and eat the fruit right off the trees. We have 3 cherry trees in the front yard and 1 of us is constantly out there eating cherries. Since we have the lake in the back yard and its at a lower level than the yard, we don't want to subject it to chemical run off from the yard. Occassionally we have to use something, but we use as little as possible and just in that isolated area (like on a poisonous plant).

pat

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Totally organic here. The thought of spraying poisons on food my family will eat just makes me sick. I find a bug eating my plants, I take it off and step on it. I have a friend who has a few peach trees that she sprays with chemicals. She'll give me some peaches off her trees and I just pitch them. She is just so chemical happy. I like being able to brush the dirt off my veggies and eat it right off the vine.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I don't use chemicals on my lawn. I really need to find a way to get rid of the weeds without hurting the earth. and not leaving big holes in my yard! LOL. I have to admit I use Sevin spray on my flowers in the front because the japanese beetles will eat them if I don't! I have tried the traps and that works, but they still end up eating all my flowers. :(

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Organic here........we have so much lawn here that we just keep cutting and cutting, don't use anything.........I would say 3/4 of our lawn used to be pasture and when we moved we took down the fences and made our lawn bigger.......all we have done is just roll it a few times and cut.......it actually looks better than the "real" lawn. As far as vegetables, I don't use any chemicals either. I have dusted the potato leaves before though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts