Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a free pattern for a Chemo Cap. I have never made one before and don't know anything about them. I googled and found some free patterns, but if someone has made them before I would appreciate some input.

My mom will start Chemo treatments on December 28th and they told her that she could lose her hair as soon as 14 days, so I need to get busy. I haven't told her I am going to try and make these, so how would I know what size to make? Are they adjustable or do they have elastic???

THANKS for any input.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANK YOU!!!! I should have mentioned in my first post that she mentioned something about a turbin style one that she had seen a lady at her church wear.

I think she would look good in the first pattern you posted here.

THANKS for the links!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Here is one from Lion Brand...

as a former chemo patient something ELSE you may consider as it is winter, is to sew an old fashioned flannel night cap (like on Little House) AND buy her some COTTON hankies, with no eyelashes her eyes will water TERRIBLY AND the fibers in kleenex break off into the eye (OW). Tell her to take care and God bless AND listen to her doc and nurse. Oh, and something else my chemo nurse told me, if she gets mouth sores, eat CANNED peaches, it works;)

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kfancyf-chemoCap.html

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Another word of advice from a former chemo patient... I used to like only cotton, so that the yarn didn't itch my head.

And when her hair does fall out, it hurts. Mine hurt so bad, it felt like there were little pins being stuck in my head. Hugs to your mom, and you!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as a former chemo patient something ELSE you may consider as it is winter, is to sew an old fashioned flannel night cap (like on Little House) AND buy her some COTTON hankies, with no eyelashes her eyes will water TERRIBLY AND the fibers in kleenex break off into the eye (OW). Tell her to take care and God bless AND listen to her doc and nurse. Oh, and something else my chemo nurse told me, if she gets mouth sores, eat CANNED peaches, it works;)

Log In / Join the Lion Brand community to get free knitting and free crochet patterns and more!
WOW, we have so much to learn. THANK YOU for the info. I hadn't thought about something for sleeping in at night. Where can I get a pattern for a night cap???

I didn't realize her eyelashes would fall out also. I'll put hankies and canned peaches on my list, thanks to your suggestion.

I'm open for whatever info we should know. We've never had anyone close have chemo so we have no clue what to expect. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

Is this pattern a knitted or crocheted pattern??? I don't know how to do either of those. I have limited sewing abilities. I am a quilter and everyone thinks if you can quilt you can sew anything, but I disagree.

THANKS again!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I could put a care package together for her with hankies, canned peaches and chemo hats. Any other suggestions????

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Maybe I could put a care package together for her with hankies, canned peaches and chemo hats. Any other suggestions????
Yes. As another former chemo patient, I'd like to suggest skin care products. Chemo can play havoc on skin, so soothing, unscented lotions are great. And I don't know how she feels about it, but when I lost my brows and lashes, my eyeliner and brow pencil became my friends. Really, just any makeup and nail polish bolstered my self confidence. But some of the women had no problem going w/o a hat or wig or make-up. I always admired their self assurance. Me on the other hand, slept in my wig because I didn't want my hubby or kids to see me that way.

The other things that come to mind is that you have to stay VERY hydrated, so some bottled flavored water might be nice. Also small snacks, like pkged cheese and crackers, individual fruit cups, etc. I'm sure you get the idea. She might not be able to handle full meals, so the snacks work out good on those days.

I think it's wonderful what you're doing. Believe me, you're mom will be very touched with your gesture, the same way I'm sure everyone here is!

HUGS!!!!

Hope things go well for your mom. When I was on it, I had to take alot of pills the nite before so I wouldn't get sick to my stomach, and I never did. Please keep us posted. She'll be on our minds.

Theresa :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quiltin Mom

WOW, we have so much to learn. THANK YOU for the info. I hadn't thought about something for sleeping in at night. Where can I get a pattern for a night cap???My mom LITERALLY just cut a circle, edged it and ran elastic through it, but you may check the patterns at the fabric store.

I didn't realize her eyelashes would fall out also. I don't know how to put it delicately, but ALL her hair will fall out and the most irritating to me was when my "private" hair grew back...itchy I'll put hankies and canned peaches on my list, thanks to your suggestion.

I'm open for whatever info we should know. We've never had anyone close have chemo so we have no clue what to expect. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

Is this pattern a knitted or crocheted pattern???knitted I believe I don't know how to do either of thoseyou know sweetie, this may sound strange, but how everyone handles their hair loss is different. Like one poster said, she wore a wig, I chose to go Kojak and only wore a white driving cap (unless it was cold a stocking cap was useful)AND how everyone chooses to embrace the fact that they have cancer is different, for example my dads lady friend who is a 3 time breast cancer survivor sent me ANOTHER BC pin, while some wear it like a badge of honor, I have chosen to accept that it was a part of my life, but that it did not define me and do NOT were a lot of BC logo items, I am an almost 6 year survivor (I was 40 when dx and my son was 4)...pray, listen and support id what your mom needs most. Take care sweetie. I have limited sewing abilities. I am a quilter and everyone thinks if you can quilt you can sew anything, but I disagree.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
I've had 7 rounds of chemo and my hair NEVER fell out. It depends on the type of chemo/cancer. However, my skin was always dry while getting chemo --

I loved satin sheets for sleeping (my dry skin didn't catch on them), anything soft and comfortable. . . smoothies were my friend during chemo -- bland, easy to swallow, nutritious.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As one who has been through this 4 times please use solid color darks..... the last thing a cancer patient wants to do is wear a bright flower on their head! Seen too many of those! Think dark! Unless the person really adores the brights! And we need more than one, lotions and cremes wear them out eventually.
For food ideas try Constant Comment tea. There is something in it that is an instant stomach calmer, regular or decaf does not matter.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Thanks......such great postings and great web sites.

I have always wanted to sew some hats and take them to the hospital........or somehow give them to cancer patients.

I sew......and have a ton of fleece and flannel scraps.......this motivated me and with the new year coming......a new slate to fill..............thanks again.........going to try some of the hats.

Thanks to the poster that said 'do darks'........I am sort of into brights so may not have done that......will do it now.

Quiltin' mom..........if you have some questions on the sewing I will help if I can.......or dig up someone that can help us. PM me if you want..........

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As one who has been through this 4 times please use solid color darks.....
For food ideas try Constant Comment tea. There is something in it that is an instant stomach calmer, regular or decaf does not matter.
I hadn't seen your post until right now. I went to the fabric store today to get some fleece and I bought a real pretty charcoal grey. I went in with the idea to get some black, but liked the charcoal grey better. It is on sale at JoAnn's Fabrics right now for $3.99 a yard.

I've never heard of Constant Comment tea. Is this available in just any grocery store or a health food type store??? My mom tends to not take any meds, Tylenoll, Advil or anything so she is real prone to stomach upset. THANKS for the suggestion.

My mom said on Christmas day when she was here that she had started looking around for some caps. She said it looks like they go for anywhere from $10 - $25 each. I can make them cheaper then that, so I hope she likes the ones I attempt to make.

CanadaMom, 4 times??? WOW, another survivor. Glad you are doing well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
sorry to hear about your mom. If you need any help with sewing, feel free to message me, I will try and answer it. If I don't know the answer, I have many friends who would. *hugs*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts