Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if anyone had a good recipe for Cherry Pie Filling? I picked 7lbs today and was going to come home and can some filling but the only recipes I can find include Clear Jel which I didn't realize has to be ordered online! I've even called all the farm shops and nothing :(

I made red currant Jelly and blueberry Jam yesterday so on a bit of a canning kick, need to get these cherries done! :)

·
Banned
952 Posts
I don't bother. I just can the cherries in a medium syrup( keeps them red). Then when I want pie I drain the cherries, (keeping the juice for jellos and drinks), add some sugar and flour, mix, add to the shell, dot with butter and cover with top and bake.Always turns out great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I ended up canning three quarts of cherries, they look pretty yummy and can't wait to eat a cherry pie in the middle of January! I did use the cornstarch method which isn't recommended but I hope it works out. Now I need to get on with the gooseberries and raspberries! yikes!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have about 10 lbs of cherries to make into the filling & then freeze. I like to make cherry dump cake! But, the canned price is ridiculous! I got the cherries for $1.57/lb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts