Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chick Pea & Feta Salad

Recipe Description
Nice summertime salad, colorful & flavorful. Easily doubled. Taste before adding salt as feta cheese is sometimes very salty. ;)
Preparation Steps:
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
19 oz can Chick peas, drained
2T or more thinly sliced red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
Cubed tomatoes or grape tomatoes halved (as many as you'd like)
feta to taste (2-4oz?), large chunks

Dressing:
3T olive oil
1T lemon juice
pepper to taste
may not need salt because of feta.;)
Serves:
2-4​
Directions:
In bowl, combine salad ingredients, Mix dressing and pour over salad. Refrigerate several hours before serving. As you stir the feta breaks off into smaller pieces and adds salt flavor to your dressing.​

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
This looks delicious!!! Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Darlene, could I substitute a different kind of cheese? I've found that Cabot brand doesn't have lactose in it, but I am not sure they make the feta variety.

TIA :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds yummy & perfect for my attempt at the South Beach Diet :) Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Sounds like another winner. I am adding it to my summer salad lists. Thanks for sharing it.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darlene, could I substitute a different kind of cheese? I've found that Cabot brand doesn't have lactose in it, but I am not sure they make the feta variety.

TIA :)
I'm not sure but it's worth a try, maybe there is a crumbly type of something that would work. You may need to add a pinch of salt too. Hope you can find a good alternative because it really makes the salad. Good luck and sorry you have to deal with this health issue, gotta be frustrating sometimes.

Reactions: familyof3

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Yum! I can see adding in a lil diced bell peppers and if you swap out the cheese - cheddar? Also, I'd prob sprinkle oregano over the top to make it truly Greek :) (or one step further, toss in penne for a pasta salad with punch!)

·
19,119 Posts
Two of my favorite ingredients will defintely make this one of my favorites!! Mahalo - I'm making this salad on Saturday!!

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
YUM!
I love chickpeas and feta... I am going to have to make this.
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts