Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to make chicken pot pie tonight

but i have no bisquick for pie crust..i have only all purpose flour and i have frozen biscuits...can i make a crust out of all purpose? milk and eggs? what do you think about defrosting biscuits, cutting in half and topping??

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hi Tammy,

Here is the recipe I use, it tastes wonderful.

Chicken Potpie

3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 recipe for homemade pie crust ( I use a wonderful no fail butter recipe that is wonderful for chicken pot pie or fruit pies )
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 small celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 cup homemade chicken broth
1/2 cup cream or milk
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and ground pepper
cubed cooked potatoes ( I use a couple )
1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots, not thawed ( you can use any veggies you like I use green beans at time )

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place pie crust on bottom of pie pan.

2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery; saute until just tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl along with the cooked chicken; set aside.

3. Meanwhile, heat chicken broth and milk in a saucepan until steamy, 3 to 4 minutes. Heat butter over medium heat in the empty dutch oven. When foaming subsides, whisk in flour and thyme; cook until golden, about 1 minute. Whisk in hot milk mixture. Bring to simmer, then continue to simmer until sauce fully thickens, about 1 minute. Turn off heat, , and season to taste with salt and pepper.

4. Stir chicken mixture, potatoes, and frozen vegetables into the sauce. Pour into prepared pie crust. Top with remaining pie dough, and flute crust by pinching with your fingers. Set on a baking sheet and bake until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 45 mintues. Let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting.

If you need a good pie crust recipe let me know.

This is the very best and tastes like Costco chicken pot pie they use to have. I do have a version for a 9x13 also.

If you try it let me know what you think.

Blessings,

Angel

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
thank you..how do you make the crust!!!!???
I use this recipe and it has never failed me. Hope you like it:)

Butter really does make the best pie crusts. The secret is keeping the dough cold and working it as little as possible, and if you can, let it rest for an hour or even overnight.

Makes one 8” – 10” double crust pie.

2 1/2 c flour
1 t sugar
1/2 t salt
1 c (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, grated ( you can cut this to 2/3 cup)
1/4 – 1/2 c ice water (fill a cup with water & add a few ice cubes; the colder the water the better)

Grate butter into food processor bowl. Add flour, sugar, and salt; blend in processor, using on/off turns, until coarse meal forms. 1/4 c water. Using on/off turns, blend just until moist clumps form, adding more water by 1/2 tablespoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; divide in half and flatten into 2 disks. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour. If you can, chill the piecrust after rolling out and before baking.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
You can use the biscuits two ways:

Cut the frozen dough in half and then thaw and rise according to the package directions, place on top of hot chicken mixture and bake according to the instructions. Make sure you have room under the oven element.

Make biscuits as directed on the package. Split, then serve hot chicken mixture over the baked biscuits.

Reactions: sahm2boys

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i defrosted the biscuits..=)

i cooked chicken with seasoning and celery in the pot for a couple of hours..

melted butter and flour in a sauce pan..added 4 cups of broth from the chicken, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, more seasoning..simmered

shredded chicken, pour veggies in, and pour sauce over..then topped with the defrosted biscuits..looks good..

QUESTION

i took the let over chicken mess/pieces/bones and pour it in the crockpot and the remaining broth to cook on low all night...doesnt that make a good broth???

·
27,948 Posts
Love the "cooking bug" you've got going on! Thanks a bunch for sharing pics. :tay:

Reactions: sahm2boys
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.