Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night on World News Tonight- they had a story about a single mom of 4 or 5 kids who does not qualify for the child tax credit that most of us will be receiving this summer. But here's the thing- she makes right around $20,000 a year and does not pay a dime of Federal Income Tax because she makes so little money and she thinks she deserves a check in the mail.

And what really burns my butt is they showed TV ads saying that GW Bush doesn't care about the children of low income families. I'm sorry-but I don't see how someone can expect a credit on something they never put money into. To me, that's like going to Wal Mart empty handed (no merchandise, no receipt)and demading a $20.00 refund for a pair of jeans that you never bought. Where I'm from, that's called robbery.

I guess some people just don't understand that tax refunds aren't free money from the government- it's an overpayment on income taxes.

Just wondering what you all thought- or am I the one out to lunch here?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I totally agree. This is a tax *credit*. The government is not giving us anything. This is *our* money,that we're getting back. Thanks for the thread,Milach. I'm anxious to see every one's opinion.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I agree with you, however this is an advance payment on next years taxes, not a refund. Now if she will pay $400 in taxes and gets a check now, she wouldn't then, make sense?

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I wasn't very clear on my post. It must have something to do with my brain dead status. lol I knew it wasn't a refund, but an advance on the tax savings for next year. It's an effort to stimulate the economy, I guess. I really feel for the families who are in dire straits now and wondering how they will get school clothing, etc. Does the Earned Income Credit help in cases like this?

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I think that the checks are a wonderful thing but I think that the way they have been advertised has caused lots of misinformation for the general public. I have seen advertisements saying that "you will be receiving a check in your mailbox, you will get $400 per child" that is misleading. I agree that if you are not paying anything in taxes you should not get the money back, but on the other hand the goverment should have been a little more specific about who would get the checks. JMHO. :D

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I agree. I have a family member who makes very little money. This person is getting by, but isn't living high on the hog. S/he will not be getting a tax credit since s/he earns too little. However, s/he gets LARGER tax refunds than we do because of earned income credits. Does anyone know how/why this works? S/he sometimes gets double what we do in a refund.Weird...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Geez, I guess they really did a poor job of advertising this. I thought they were a refund in addition to our 2001 returns- then when we file for 2002- the child tax credit would jump up to 1,000 per child. But I guess I'm a year ahead, huh, LOL

So these are just an advanced payment on our taxes that we'll be filing for 2002? Sounds good to me.

But in any case, my opinion is still the same. If you don't put anything in- you shouldn't get anything out. It still isn't free $$$ from the gov't- 28% of dh's check still goes to Uncle Sam every week. We put in more than our $400. worth of taxes so far this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts