Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time of year has me thinking back on the toys of my youth and those of my children. Do you have any toys that you and/or your parents played with and are you going to save some your children have played/are playing with?
I don't have any toys of my youth but we do have some erector set parts from hubby's youth. I do have toys that my children have played with that I am keeping for my grandchildren. Buckets of Matchbox cars, big box of wooden blocks, plastic army men, Duplo's & lots of Lego's, Lincoln Logs, Barbie, Playdoh fun kits, play money for playing store...
I also have the games everyone plays... Candyland, Chutes & Ladders, Monopoly, Scrabble, Parcheesi, Sorry...
Although not toys (they are ever so entertaining) I have bunches of books for many different ages of children too.

Oh the hours spent with all these things, working, playing, learning & just having fun.

What do you have? Anything you'll keep no matter what?

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
My kids have my Lego and my Fisher Price adventure people. Sometimes I wish they took more care with the adventure people though, as they are apparently worth a fair bit. My FP little people are at my parent's house and we also have a pile of books at all reading levels.

I don't know if I will save any of their toys, aside from the ones that were originally mine (and the lego that has been added over the years). They don't seem particularly attached to any of them.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
My folks still have my legos, it's great when the gr. grandkids visit them! And I still have dd's.....our grandkids play with those.
Legos are always a favorite and last forever!

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Every year I got a new Raggedy Ann for Christmas. Santa would take the old one and "fix it". I so wish that my mom would have kept one of them for me!!! I collect Raggedy Ann's, and would love to have had one of mine from my childhood.

DD (10 yo), still has her very first doll. And she still sleeps with her very first stuffed dog, and blanket!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
My son was hooked on the Fisher Price pirate sets when he was little and I still have them. There was a ship, a castle and a whole bunch of accessories that went with them. I loved playing with him when he opened them on Christmas morning. I thought they were the coolest things. I can't wait until I have grandchildren so I can bring them out again. :D

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I don't have any of mine or my kids but my kids still have some of their toys. My daughter who will be 28 still has her Teddy Ruxpin and Fivel the Mouse. My son who will soon be 21 still has all of his Power Ranger action figures. He also has Spider Man, Wolverine, Sabertooth, Venom, Cyclops, and Gambit action figures.

Cat

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I don't have any of mine, but I wish I still had "Ker-plunk" and the "Rock'em Sock'em Robots" (those were actually my brother's)....those two were my favorites! I also liked my Chrissy and Velvet dolls....you know, the ones with the hair that grew really long?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I don't have any of mine, but I wish I still had "Ker-plunk" and the "Rock'em Sock'em Robots" (those were actually my brother's)....those two were my favorites! I also liked my Chrissy and Velvet dolls....you know, the ones with the hair that grew really long?

Here ya go, Lucky! And on sale with free S/H to your JCP store no less!

Have fun!

Theresa :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Whenever I spot a toy, game, or book that I had as a child, I try to get it. Garage sales and thrift stores are great for this. Right now, we are acquiring a 1980's version of the Childcraft books.

I do have a rag doll that was given to me at my first Christmas, that is still in decent condition. And I have turned over most of my stuffed animals to my children to play with.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I have my childcraft books that I love. I had em as a kid and my father threw em out. I also had the "Value of:" books ...the Value of:patience, the value of tenacity....etc etc...Anyway I saw them in a thrift store and bought all of em I could. Now my kids have them and love them like I did.

I loved my strawberry shortcake items, and smurfs, and marbles and so on.

Wish I still had them. really wish I did.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
My parents moved when I was in college and half of my stuff was ruined in a moving truck leak and the rest was stolen by the movers. :( I have nothing to pass on.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
My mom got rid of most of my toys--my Care Bears, my Cabbage Patch Dolls, my Rainbow Brites and my Strawberry Shortcake. :( She still has all the barbies though.

I had an awesome stuffed musical pony with a pink and purple yarn mane that had a wind-up music thing that played Frere Jacque. I wish I still had it. :(

There are some things of Wesley's and Maggies that will be kept no matter what! Bernard the Elephant that snuck inside a care package and made his way to spend a year in Iraq, Maggie's first baby doll, those kind of things.

When Zac's Grandpa Bob came home from Korea, he sewed a lot of his patches onto a little OD Green shirt and Zac's dad wore it to play Army. Then Zac wore it. Guess who wears it now? I'll never get rid of that and someday, my grandsons will play in it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
My favorite toy from my childhood was my American Girl Doll. It's at my mom's house along with all of the hand sewn clothes I made waiting until we have a house. She also has my barbies and their clothes.

I have my favorite teddy bear that I slept with every night for 21 years or so. He lost his right arm at girls scout camp when I was about 11 but he is still hanging in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.