Discussion Starter #1
How do you clean your chimney if there aren't any chimney sweepers
anymore?

·
Registered
649 Posts
How do you clean your chimney if there aren't any chimney sweepers
anymore?
Dh says take a burlap sack fill with enough stuff so that when you put it in chimney it expands to both sides of chimney, then tie a rope to the bag, then drop from top of chimney ( put one or two bricks in bottom of bag to add weight) and work it back and forth, also dh says that you can buy stuff to add to your wood that helps clean your chimney.

If neither works call a place that sells woodburners for suggestions.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dh says take a burlap sack fill with enough stuff so that when you put it in chimney it expands to both sides of chimney, then tie a rope to the bag, then drop from top of chimney ( put one or two bricks in bottom of bag to add weight) and work it back and forth, also dh says that you can buy stuff to add to your wood that helps clean your chimney.

If neither works call a place that sells woodburners for suggestions.
I did get that stuff to add to the fire that helps to clean the chimney. I will look up a place that sales woodburners. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our fire department has brushes that you can borrow to clean it yourself. You might give yours a call and see if they do that.
Good idea!! Thanks! I will call our fire department. I wonder if you can clean it from the bottom. I could do it then but getting on my roof is a different story.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How often are you supposed to clean the chimney?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once or twice a year after burning it thru winter, or before you burn in the winter.
oh.......I have never cleaned it and this is winter use #5. I will most get on that ASAP!!!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome!! I looked at the link that was sent and there is one in NC about 40 miles from me. I live in VA so I will call and see if they come to my area.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there is more to this than I realize!! So much equipment!!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now....I want a fireplace popcorn popper!!!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Yes, you can clean it from the bottom, you just need rods to attach to your brush. If you do it from the roof you can drop it down on a rope.

The chimney sweeping logs do not clean your chimney, they just release some chemical that is supposed to loosen certain types of creosote, and they don't even really do that well. It has to be physically cleaned.

It's a really filthy job, it's worth it to have someone else come do it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's a really filthy job, it's worth it to have someone else come do it.
It is dirty, but whether it's worth it to have someone else do it is a matter of opinion. I'd get a little blackened to save money and have pride in doing something myself. Not everyone would, I suppose. Getting creative with curtains made of garbage bags, those disposable tyvek suits, etc, can go a long way to keeping the job cleaner.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
There must be chimney cleaners in your area since there are some here in South Louisiana! lol

We have ours done every couple years, but we *might* use our fireplace 5 or 6 times a winter.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
It is dirty, but whether it's worth it to have someone else do it is a matter of opinion. I'd get a little blackened to save money and have pride in doing something myself. Not everyone would, I suppose. Getting creative with curtains made of garbage bags, those disposable tyvek suits, etc, can go a long way to keeping the job cleaner.
Yes, it's worth it for me to have someone else do it.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for everyone's help. I found a chimney sweep in my area. I hope it isn't expensive!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts