Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It is dirty, but whether it's worth it to have someone else do it is a matter of opinion. I'd get a little blackened to save money and have pride in doing something myself. Not everyone would, I suppose. Getting creative with curtains made of garbage bags, those disposable tyvek suits, etc, can go a long way to keeping the job cleaner.
sounds a little fun with the tyvek suits.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There must be chimney cleaners in your area since there are some here in South Louisiana! lol

We have ours done every couple years, but we *might* use our fireplace 5 or 6 times a winter.
I have found one. Hopefully, it isn't expensive.

·
Registered
924 Posts
when I first bought my house I had my chimney swept (2 years ago), it was more than I expected, I don't remember the exact figure but I think it was more than $250.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Here in NH my guy charges $125 for a sweep- and we have it done yeary. Worth every cent, IMO, to have a pro. clean it out to ensure we don't have a chimeny/house fire. I do think he's on the cheaper side for our area, but he's attended some kind of school for it and even has a certification, so we know it's not some random Joe who's just mucking around.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You guys are making me NOT miss my fireplace. :) I just moved and previous house had a fireplace I used twice in ten years (remember, it's Texas and likely to be shorts weather on Christmas Day). New house has no fireplace. I had no idea chimney sweeping was so expensive (or messy!). Thanks for making me feel better about missing having a fireplace. :) Good luck with the task, DIY or professional.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well, I called a chimney sweep in my area. It is $75 to clean. Now that I have seen the other posts, I believe that is a good price. I initially thought that was expensive. In my area, the cost of living is really cheap. Plus, in my county, we have the highest unemployment in the state of Virginia. I made an appt for Oct 11th. I hope this is all it costs!
I hope I am not going to get "played for a fool" and told I need costly repairs.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
my chimney sweeper is coming today at noon. Do I tip? Is there anything I should look for in this person so I know if it is a good job or bad job??
thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
well.....my chimney has been cleaned. It was $75 and I was told it goes down to $50 during the spring and summer.
I feel so much better! thank you so much for all of your help.
and....I did sing the "chim chim chimney" mary poppins song.
hahaha!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts