Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chocolate Crumb Brownies

Recipe Description
I make all our breads and hate to see any go to waste, so I'm always looking for recipes that use "day-old" bread, dried or fresh bread crumbs. I found this recipe at the Kansas Wheat Commission (http://www.kswheat.com/recipes.php?id=184) and tried it this morning with great success.​
Preparation Steps:
*Do not use commercial dry bread crumbs. Bread that is at least 3 days old works best. Using a food processor, blender, or by hand, shred bread into medium-fine crumbs.​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
1/3 cup margarine or butter (I used coconut oil)
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 3/4 cup medium-fine soft bread crumbs*
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1 cup brown sugar, packed (I used 1/4 c. sucanat and 1/4 c. agave nectar)
(Note: I used 100% whole wheat bread with multi-grain cereal blend in the bread. I added 3 T. Hi-maize Resistant Starch to improve the fiber content and lower the glycemic impact of the brownies.)​
Serves:
makes 16 brownies​
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8-inch square baking pan.

Melt butter or margarine and cocoa powder together over low heat, stirring occasionally. If using a microwave, cook on LOW power for 1 1/2 -2 minutes or until margarine is melted; stir to combine. Cool.

In medium mixing bowl, combine bread crumbs, baking powder and nuts. In separate bowl, beat egg and water together. Stir in cocoa mixture and brown sugar; beat until combined. Combine cocoa mixture with bread mixture until all ingredients are moistened.
Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until done. Cool completely on wire rack.

Makes 16 brownies.

Nutrient Analysis. One brownie provides: 128 cal, 1.6 g protein, 18.4 g carbohydrates, .3 g dietary fiber, 6 g fat, 13 mg cholesterol, 82 mg potassium and 122 mg sodium.​

1 - 2 of 2 Posts