Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chocolate Gravy Mix

Recipe Description
This rich but inexpensive gravy mix can be made for less than .75 compared to the commercial brand that's over $3.00.​
Preparation Steps:
Gather and measure out ingredients.
Mix several up and store in zip top bags for convenience.​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
<25 minutes​
Ingredients:
Mix:
*1 cup sugar
*2 tbsp flour
*1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
------
will need to make gravy:
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp butter/margarine​
Serves:
4-6​
Directions:
* 1 cup white sugar
* 2 T flour
* 1 T unsweetened cocoa powder

Mix ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Pour into zip top baggie. Seal and label.

Directions to make gravy:

Pour contents into heavy saucepan.
Add 1 1/4 Cups Milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
Add 1 tsp vanilla extract.
Once boiling, turn heat down to lowest setting and stir for one minute more, until thickened.
Take off heat and stir in 1 Tablespoon butter/ margarine.
Pour over hot biscuits.

Absolutely delicious!​

Reactions: oheoh's momma

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love love love chocolate gravy! I grew up having it and all my friends thought it was the strangest thing. I love to tear buttered toast into my bowl and pour the gravy over it. It's also good with bacon crumbled into it.

edit:
I don't use this much sugar in mine. I'm sweet enough already. :p

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never tried this with toast, but I think we'll try it next instead of biscuits. :hurray: Thanks for the suggestion!!

·
4,028 Posts
I've never heard of such a thing! I look forward to trying it though. Thanks for such a horizon expanding recipe!!!

Reactions: Paws

·
Registered
933 Posts
This is one of my families favorite meals. I actually use water instead of milk. My mom made this when I was a kid and taught me how.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I ate this when i was growing so did my children but doubt if very many of grandchildren ever ate it.reading this make me hungry for chocklate gravy.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
My mom made chocklate syrup when i was growing up to put on home made ice cream and i made it when my children was young to go in milk but can't remember how i made it but chocklate gravy was to eat with biscuits maby some one will jump in and explain the difference to us both.I know i never put flour in chocklate syrup.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
933 Posts
Chocolate gravy is mostly southern I believe. It is very different...imo...in taste to just syrup for icecream. It is thicker with the flour added. Its really good. I fix breakfast for supper sometimes and I fix this.

Reactions: Spirit Deer

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Yeah were dividing the line again.lol Absolutely NEVER heard of such a thing.At I thought- we just call that icing. And then I realized flour? and Sugar not powdered sugar. I am really curious now. thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts