Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know what this is?
My mom has always made it and it's a huge family fav. here. I think it's an old recipe that is dying out......ds said he found a girl at college who knew what it was and he just about fell out of his chair. When I was a kid all my friends loved to sleep over here cuz mom would make it for em.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
What do you do with Chocolate gravy? I have never heard of it but I bet I would love it!! :) :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Believe it or not, I've heard of it!! I remember a woman who made it for the first day of school breakfast for her children. Let me look and see if I can find the recipe.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
mmmmm :chef:
Looks good... I'll have to try it one of these days.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I've heard of it - definitely a Southern thing. I've never had it though, but I have a friend in GA that just loves it (she serves it over biscuits).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanx, Sara, I couldn't find the copy I had. My best friend's mom served them over hoecakes on Sunday a.m. before church.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have it over buttered toast. Sort of along the lines of a pancake-ey type meal. See my recipe below:

Chocolate Gravy (depression style---these measurements are guestimates)

2 C. Sugar
2 T. Flour
1.5 T. Cocoa
Mix together to prevent lumps and add:
Approx 3-4 C. Water
1 t. vanilla

Mix well and bring to a boil. It should take on the consistency of reg. gravy. If after boiling for a few minutes it doesn't add just a little water with flour already added and smoothed out (technical cooking term here) before pouring into gravy. This should bring it to desired consistency. If the gravy is really sticky that means too much flour or too little water. Serve over buttered toast or biscuits and ENJOY! Warning kids usually love this and will want it often. We serve with bacon and milk.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Chocolate Gravy is wonderful!! gives you lots of extra pounds..lol
We eat it over hot biscuits like you do regular cream gravy..but everyone should try it..Its delicious..:)

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
My mother made this for us when we were children. I had not thought about it in years. It was a special treat for us on special Sundays. She served it over biscuits. It was yummmmmmy.

Blessings,
Kathy

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
well being from maine i have never heard of it. would it work over a roast, i am thinking what i could do with this though, all that extra calories.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
I've lived in Alabama all my life and never heard of this! Maybe I should come out from under my rock every now and then lol

(Gotta ask dh's aunt about this one lol )

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Wow, this sounds way too good LOL...Michelle adds the recipe to her huge list of recipes to try SOME day...LOL

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Jenlee - what is a hoecake? I've never heard of it. :D

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Heaven, no you definately would not want to put this on a roast. It is actually more like a chocolate pudding, served hot on biscuits. It is so yummy. :)

Blessings,
Kathy

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
:bump:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Yum! I haven't had chocolate gravy in forever. I need to get the recipe from my step-mom. She makes the best. It used to be Christmas breakfast.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hoecake is a pancake. Kids love this with pancakes and milk for breakfast. My grandma made this too. The vanilla extract is essential. It must be a southern thing. Any extra can be refrigerated and reheated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts