Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Grow Chocolate Mint. It is very hardy, and heavily scented.

2) End of summer, but before fall makes it dark brown and yucky, harvest it. Cut it way back, toss aside any that look too eaten by bugs or have dog/cat hair, trash in them, save only the best, fresh stuff.

3) Strip all the leaves and flowers off it onto oven safe cookie sheets, baking pans, anything you can find. I wear gloves as the green will stain hands.

4) Bake at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes. The key is for it to be almost black, or black, NO GREEN. It wont crush if its green and you will have moisture problems when you tupperware it.

5) crush into tupperware containers for storage. I like to well-pack the 4 oz. small tupperwares as they are the amount I use for my satchels.

6) acquire decorative fabric. I use remnants from the bins in JoAnn's, Michaels, when on super-clearance or after-Christmas sales.

7) pour about 1/4 cup into a fabric square that is about 6" by 6", this can be adjusted however you like for what size satchels you want to make or how much fabric you have.

8) secure the top with tightly-twisted twistie-tie, then tie tighter with curling ribbon. The twistie-tie helps hold it in place. Can remove twistie-tie if desired, I leave it on for reinforcement.

Other suggestions:
1) Could sew tops shut and then attach a loop of string/ribbon to be hung. I would not recommend hanging with just a twistie-tie/curling ribbon.

2) Don't strip the leaves AFTER baking, this causes a big mess of shredded chocolate mint everywhere. I have found it best to strip the plants before baking.

3) Look through your ribbons and decorative items collections to find other things to decorate the tops instead of curling ribbon. Curling ribbon is my main-stay if I am in a rush or just don't have anything else on-hand.

4) For an idea of how much is needed: I harvested an under-bed tote filled with the plant cuttings. By the time it was baked, crushed, tupperwared, it created 5 satchels that were 4 oz. tupperwares. They made nice, fat, round satchels, I've attached a picture.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Thank you! I will be giving this a try. Love the scent of mint

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thank you!! Will have to look for the plant. These will make great gifts for next year! :)

·
19,119 Posts
I'm in too!! To keep clutter to a minimum, I promised DD that I would not purchase anything for Christmas for a whole year!! Now I need to get creative with all the craft goodies that I have stored in our home!!

Looking for some ideas for men??

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have peppermint trying to take over the yard, even with giving it away and using it, I have a lot around. I'll try this, thanks!

Judi
It spreads fast as well. If you and I were closer we could trade, I want to get some peppermint going. I might ask on Freecycle if anyone grows it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I grow chocolate mint. We use it in homemade milkshakes. We have a huge patch that started to grow into the lawn. It smells so good when the mower goes over it.

Thank you for another idea to use it for.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grow chocolate mint. We use it in homemade milkshakes. We have a huge patch that started to grow into the lawn. It smells so good when the mower goes over it.

Thank you for another idea to use it for.
For your milkshakes, do you just wash it and throw it in fresh to the blender?

Hm, I might explore a chocolate mint hot chocolate powder. To give away as gifts.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes depending on the strength of the minty flavor that you want. For my crew we throw in about 5 fresh leaves in a normal sized blender. Then add the ice cream, milk and any other additions. Sometimes I prechop the mint a bit.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes depending on the strength of the minty flavor that you want. For my crew we throw in about 5 fresh leaves in a normal sized blender. Then add the ice cream, milk and any other additions. Sometimes I prechop the mint a bit.
Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.