Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chocolate Sweet Potato Spice Muffins
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (you heard me!)
1 1/2 cups sweet potato puree*
1/4 cup water
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
4 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips
In a food processor or blender puree beans and water. Add sweet potato puree* and blend until very smooth. Add eggs, sugar, vanilla and melted chocolate; mix well. Stir in dry ingredients until incorporated. Add chocolate chips (optional, but come on, you’re giving them beans and sweet potatoes. It balances out, right?)

Bake at 350F in well-greased muffin tins about 18 minutes (12 minutes for minis).

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Mmm Polly thanks these sound so good. I can't wait to try them .

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on trying these using white whole wheat flour for all the flour, and using pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes, real sweet potatoes are hard to find right now. It's mostly yams in the stores, and they have a much higher GI index, and pumpkin is more economical.

I'll post back on how they turned out. :)

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
These really do sound good. And no doubt packed with good nutrition. And ya know, I never really did understand the difference between a yam and a sweet potato. Is the GI index the only thing that's different? If I get to make these muffins, and I should at least try them because I have the ingredients. I'll use canned pumpkin too because I have it on hand. The price of yams right now is ridiculous anyway.

Thanks for posting Polly! Im on a mission to using more natural foods around here.

Theresa :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
I plan on trying these using white whole wheat flour for all the flour, and using pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes, real sweet potatoes are hard to find right now. It's mostly yams in the stores, and they have a much higher GI index, and pumpkin is more economical.

I'll post back on how they turned out. :)
Good idea... I was wondering if you could substitute pumpkin. I've got a pumpkin I need to use up.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great recipes. I’ll try them. I wonder how the clove will taste. Interesting. However, I am looking more for some nutritious way of making cookies. Any suggestions?

I posted a lentil cookie recipe in healthy recipes. I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These really do sound good. And no doubt packed with good nutrition. And ya know, I never really did understand the difference between a yam and a sweet potato. Is the GI index the only thing that's different? If I get to make these muffins, and I should at least try them because I have the ingredients. I'll use canned pumpkin too because I have it on hand. The price of yams right now is ridiculous anyway.

Thanks for posting Polly! Im on a mission to using more natural foods around here.

Theresa :)
:wave:

According to my son's doctor, sweet potatoes are better all the way around, not just the GI index. You must be careful though, stores will often sell yams as sweet potatoes. You must trust your source.

Reactions: HappyMama
1 - 9 of 9 Posts