Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
very creative.. lemon chicken, fish etc. zest and freeze ..leeks you can use like onions too. or just roast or fry w butter. I agree better to have a table that people can leave and take stuff. they didn't let people pick somethings at the food bank near my moms years ago and there would be food like bread etc just dumped further down the street by some people.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
I'd make a salad with the avo, tomato, peppers and red onion and use the lime juice with salt and oil instead of buying a bottled dressing.

Lemon, salt, sugar and oil are the dressing for this carrot salad: French Grated Carrot Salad

The lemons and limes can be juiced (cut in half and use a fork to get the juice out) and frozen in ice cube trays for later. Small amounts of lemon juice are useful in a variety of recipes. I mix lime juice, sour cream and cumin to make a dipping sauce for sweet potatoes. Lemon, chicken broth and corn starch makes a nice sauce for stir fry. A squeeze of lime is nice in black bean soup (easy to make from canned items) or over a taco, or taco salad. Most citrus will keep a few weeks if it can't be eaten immediately.

Leeks are great in potato soup. They can be chopped and blanched and frozen, and used later in any kind of vegetable dish where you'd use onion. They will turn clear and vanish into anything that's cooked a long time, like a stew or soup.

Lemon or lime squeezed into iced tap water takes away the bad taste of processed city water.

Here's a basic home made electrolyte drink for sick kids: DIY Electrolyte Drink :: Natural rehydration for colds, flu, food poisoning, & physical exertion - Raising Generation Nourished
You don't need the fancy salt or organic honey, whatever you can find at Aldi will work.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I think many root-type vegs and squash could be cooked, puree'd and mixed into a creamy potato-base soup. Maybe 1/2 potato and 1/2 "other stuff" assuming food processor or blender are available. Or rice instead of potatoes.
This recipe suggests you can "hide" the vegs from kids by puree'ing them with the broth for the soup.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
I had to think about the pineapple, because I so rarely buy them. And a green one, never. (they don't ripen after being picked) But if it eventually softens up and becomes edible then it can be eaten a variety of ways. We like sweet and sour chicken with pineapple and veggies. Sometimes I sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar and put it on the grill. You can also make smoothies if you have a blender or something like a vitamix or bullet, adding yogurt/almond milk/coconut milk and any other soft fruit like strawberries or a banana. Pineapple can also be chopped and frozen for later.

It also ocurred to me that you can squeeze lemon or lime into canned tuna salad or canned chicken salad to give it a fresher taste.

Good luck with your box program.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I am a big fan of leek and potato soup.
For the lemons and limes..
if folks have salt, a knife and a clean jar they can preserve the lemons for later. If anyone has a freezer they keep well froze. A slice in warm water is comforting for a sore throat. I have also dehydrated them which can be done over a wood stove if people are heating with that anyway. Dry lemon, lime and clementine slices are great in tea too.
If people have eggs there is that lemony Greek soup.. avoglimano I think.
And lemons that get too old are great for cleaning/sanitizing. Or a facial, hair rinse to get cheap shampoo/soap build up off the hair, freshen up laundry. In the 1980s we did hair highlights but putting lemon juice in or hair and going out on the sun. Limes work for most of that too.
Lemon and/or lime juice with oil make a nice dressing for salad or to put on kale and other veggies.

Any acid plus baking soda wil leaven a cake or quick bread so an egg less lemon or lime cake could work if folks have flour, oil and a sweetener.

The pineapple...that is just good as is!
I made vinegar from pineapple peel in water. Might have added a bit of sugar, I would have to look up the recipe. Didn't even need to add mother, like unpasteurized apple juice, it goes to vinegar on its own pretty easily. It is also delicious.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
. I mix lime juice, sour cream and cumin to make a dipping sauce for sweet potatoes.
That sounds amazing! Did you do the sweet potatoes and wedges (oven fries) or some other way?

I made vinegar from pineapple peel in water. Might have added a bit of sugar, I would have to look up the recipe. Didn't even need to add mother, like unpasteurized apple juice, it goes to vinegar on its own pretty easily. It is also delicious.
I'm gonna have to try this!

Good luck with your box program.
Thanks! Next Wednesday we have a guest (patient) coming in to talk about diet advice for managing some of her health conditions (while living on disability and SNAP.) #1 thing I want her to leave with is information about these boxes.
There is a Friday evening site about 4 blocks from her house, but she has major mobility issues (and that neighborhood gets dangerous after dark.) If we could eventually get Wednesday afternoon boxes going at the center where she is coming for appointments anyway, that would be so much easier! I can't say "better" because I haven't seen a Wednesday box yet-- because I am working the clinic on Wednesdays and there isn't time to sneak off and check the sites (which aren't close, yet another reason why we NEED to be a drop point...)

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
That sounds amazing! Did you do the sweet potatoes and wedges (oven fries) or some other way?
I either make crispy smashed sweet potato rounds from scratch, or I use Aldi sweet potato fries. Also, it doesn't have to be sour cream, you could use plain yogurt, or a mix of either with mayo if that's what you have. Garlic can be added if you have it. 1-2 TB of sour cream per person, season to taste.

Based on this recipe, but I don't have time to make aioli from scratch, and sour cream has half the fat: Savory Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Lemon Garlic Aioli

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen
21 - 29 of 29 Posts