Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you heard of this movie that is to be out in theaters December 7 starring Nicole Kidman? If this is true....this guy is pretty pathetic to pry on young unsuspecting minds of kids.

Anyway this is what I got of it......There is an anti-Christian movie (written by an atheist, Philip Pullman of England) called The Golden Compass coming out on December 7 (just in time for Christmas). It stars Nicole Kidman, so it will be getting a lot of publicity. Philip despises C.S Lewis and Narnia, and his goal is to “kill GOD in the minds of children”. He has written 3 books that all promote atheism, and the movie depicts his first book (which is the more watered-down of the 3).

His goal is that you see the movie and then that your kids want his trilogy for Christmas…and then it REALLY gets offensive in the second 2 books!! But just to give you a tid-bit of what’s in Philip’s books…a ex-nun calling Christianity a convincing mistake, 2 characters representing Adam & Eve KILL God (called YAHWEH) in the end, and there’s a story about castration & female circumcision! It will be targeted toward children and advertised as a fun-holiday flick. Here is the snopes article that I found that talks about it.

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
thanks, i will make sure none of us see it. I do vote with my pocketbook.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'll see it for myself and decide if it's appropriate for my kids. Just because a writer is an agnostic or atheist doesn't necessarily make a book or movie out-of-bounds for my family. Many times it inspires great conversations about what we believe. And, sometimes it's just entertainment.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't plan on allowing my kids to see it and I don't need to view it to make a decision. Even though this movie is fiction, I would find it offensive that the characters in it try to kill God.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
Sounds like the writer might be more of a God hater, than an atheist. I mean how can you kill somebody you don't believe in?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have not plans to see it or read the books at this time.

Generally, I don't believe in keeping children old enought to understand from ideas, but I also don't believe in just turning them loose with potentially damaging material. I don't have children myself, but do reading tutoring with Christian families so if anyone should show an interest then I will treat it like the Harry Potter books.
1. I will read the books and see the movie(ies)
2. Outline the errors both factual and doctrinal
3. Read the book outloud with the child after getting parents permission so we can discuss the issues as they arise.

I have found this works very well. With Harry Potter we discussed Christian faith and dependence on God, the dangers of actual witchcraft and Gnosticism (the idea that some people are privy to secret special knowledge that places them above other people spiritually speacking) v.s. the reality of Christ's sacrifice being for all who are willing to except it without reservation.

One young man chose to quit reading the series all together after we went through the first book. I brought the second book to a session and he said that he didn't want to read about something that would make God unhappy even if it was just pretend.

My thought is these books are not going away. Your kids will be exposed to them at school, the library and/or via friends unless you are homeschoolers and restrict the social group to your church family, so prepare them now.

Supposedly he's already writing the next book and it's going to "deal" with Jesus. <sigh> Pray very hard and Christ have mercy on that poor man.

Christine

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'll see it for myself and decide if it's appropriate for my kids. Just because a writer is an agnostic or atheist doesn't necessarily make a book or movie out-of-bounds for my family. Many times it inspires great conversations about what we believe. And, sometimes it's just entertainment.

Thanks for the input.
We all read the Harry Potter books. I kind of looked on it as a copying/similar theme of Narnia or Star Wars , the good will triumph over evil. I am really disapointed she now is making it a gay issue. My kids remember I boycotted Disney for years after they had a gay pamphlet and gay day.We stayed right next to Disney World and I would not let them go. They lost a lot of money over the years. My 4 kids went to other amusement parks, not Disneyland. I figure they missed out on thousands of dollars of revenue from me from that one gay day.

·
Registered
175 Posts
We all read the Harry Potter books. I kind of looked on it as a copying/similar theme of Narnia or Star Wars , the good will triumph over evil. I am really disapointed she now is making it a gay issue. My kids remember I boycotted Disney for years after they had a gay pamphlet and gay day.We stayed right next to Disney World and I would not let them go. They lost a lot of money over the years. My 4 kids went to other amusement parks, not Disneyland. I figure they missed out on thousands of dollars of revenue from me from that one gay day.
I'm with you on Harry. I don't mind the fantasy stuff because, let's face it, it's just not sorcery. Real sorcery is referred to in Scripture...that stuff in HP is just fantasy. No more real than Star Wars. But a great way to open up discussions.

I do have a big problem with Dumbledore being gay. I heard the author interviewed the other day and the interviewer asked about Dumbledore, HP's moral compass, being gay. She thought it was sad that the question would even be asked in the 21st century. :bolt: Get away from her! I've bought a couple HP books for my son. He's not a big reader (he'd rather watch the movies) so I think this is another good reason to just check the rest out from the library if he ever wants to read them more.

As for the OP (thought we'd hijacked the thread for Harry, didn't you?), I don't intend to let him see it. DH saw something about it and thought it was a neat movie...I'll explain to him about it and I'm sure that he won't want him to see it either.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Reminder of the rules of the kith forum. The kith forum is not like the debate and personal opinion forum. It's been solely created for members to find like-minded people to share with or for others to learn from.

Just reminding because I understand a lot of people are new here and joined after the kith forum was created.

If you don't fall under a kith, please don't comment to that particular thread.

Fair warning...jumping into a kith that you don't fall under or don't have an interest in learning more about it will result in the deletion of the post.

As an example, if someone were to start a bfing kith, I do not want to see bottle feeding members chiming in with why they don't. They are welcome to start and search their own kith.

HTH

Think of it as a clan, guild, circle, group, tribe, troop, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts