Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My budget is basically to spend very little. In my quest to do this, I am regifting an item (does that make me a bad person?), using CC rewards, Swagbucks rewards, online coupons, free shipping and unconventional methods ( ebay, church festival). So far, I've spent $128 on 3 people and have gotten: 2 shirts, car battery checker, cologne samples, hair products, bags of detergent pods, dewalt drill and bits, tire gauge, air compressor, 2 calendars, gift cards, sweatshirt, cargo pants, a silver coin and a video game. All items are new, despite any unusual ways of obtaining them!

I'm reusing gift bags.
I still have to get a few more items for family and niece/nephew.

I'm reading alot about holiday shortages and here is a blurb- "From Christmas trees to sportswear, product shortages continue to frustrate consumers across the country amid ongoing labor shortages, supply chain snarls, congestion at shipping ports and extreme weather conditions.... In the retail sector, over 80 percent of executives said they are “somewhat” or “very concerned” about inventory shortages during the 2021 holiday season, according to a recent survey from KPMG. "
I'm trying to finish my shopping pretty quickly this year so I'm not waiting to receive items....I ordered the sweatshirt and cargo pants from Lands End weeks ago and an email stated that they are understaffed and wait times will be long.....They're not kidding!

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
I don't believe christmas is about how much we buy or can spend on each other. There's a saying I agree with "In 20 years your kids won't remember what you got them for christmas, they'll remember what you did together".

Ruj, yes, the supply chain continues to be messed up, with back-ups at both east and west coast ports due to labor shortages and other issues, slowed production overseas due to COVID, and now disruption in europe and asia due to fuel and power supply issues. It will be at least another year before things are sorted and running smoothly. The US practice of "just in time inventory" bit a lot of companies in the ass this year. Still, I think the shelves will be loaded with crap we don't want or need.

I haven't mail ordered anything yet, harder to hide stuff from DH now he is WFH. If I do it will be something from the US that the seller actually has in-hand, like books. I've been shopping off times, avoiding crowds, keeping an eye out for something he might like or need. It's hard because he has so much already and just buys what he wants without telling me.

Anyway, so far I've found a new pair of slippers and a pair of slipper socks. I got a tin of mint cocoa yesterday. He likes peppermint bark so I'll get a tin of that when it comes out. Last year he really liked the flashlight with the magnet on the end. I'm making him a new lap quilt, need to get started on that.

I'll make cookies this year if my health allows. I didn't last year and I still have a ton of dried fruit, and nuts aren't hard to come by. I have butter in the freezer, and plan to get flour when it goes on sale closer to the holidays. Already got our turkeys. I'm not planning to buy a lot of special food, being just the two of us. DH doesn't eat much any more.

Already got all the wrapping paper, gift boxes and decorations, etc we could want. Last year I gave a whole box of extra to goodwill because it was just taking up space. Not planning on any holiday parties or gift exchanges, but I have a couple bags of things in the closet in case they're needed last minute.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi! I figure, with all the concerns around food supply chains, this is a good year to gift food to family and friends. As most of my family is adults sans children, I will be gifting canned and preserved foods. I will also make up some greeting card packs for them. Plus I’ll be making beeswax coated bowl toppers for them. That about covers everyone.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hehe, I was wondering if anyone was going to start a thread like this soon! Thanks!

Hmm... In my group, I have an agreement with SIL (H's only sibling) that only the kids get gifts... Her "kids" are adults these days, but I just give the single one $25 and the married one $40 to share, presented in the weirdest way possible, and tell the marrieds that they get less per person because of the marriage penalty... This year I am leaning towards dollar coins in a pyramid candle they have to burn to get the money... either that or packing it in a plaster block with a little hammer like those fake dinosaur digs you get at the craft store... and whichever I don't do this year I will do next year... but most likely the candles, since I already have all the supplies for that, and I don't have any plaster. One builds the stash, one slims it down a little... and I'll do the same thing for my 18y.o. niece on my side of the family.

I bought used, rather vintage kitchenaid mixers for 2 of my nieces on my side of the family, because $100 is a splurge and I could NEVER afford the $550 to buy new ones that neither one got on their wedding registries a few years back... The niece by marriage is getting the NWT Anthropology dish towel and apron set I found-- it's vintage-looking (like her mixer) and the colors match her kitchen set. The biological niece is getting an overpriced, funny dish towel we found together when we were shopping a few months back... Both husbands are getting little food gifts, again with the marriage penalty ;P Normally I do the $40/couple, $25/single cash gifts, but this year I was lucky to find something they've both been asking me to find for years...

One more niece, and she is a conundrum... bottom line is that if I give her money, I know she will use it for something that is bad for her. so I will probably give her some Bath and Body works stuff I already bought on the summer sale... If she's going to drink, overeat, and smoke/vape/herb herself to an early grave, I can at least not be a direct contributor to it.

So while I normally budget $195 for all of my combined nieces and nephews, this year that is up a bit because of the mixers...

Both of my daughters are getting Bath and Body works from the sale previously mentioned and cute journals I got on a summer sale

For DD17 I found a NWOT Aerogarden for $5 a few months back, so I will be adding new seed pods to that (about $20). I'm pretty sure she's already peeked, because she's a nosy little toddler, but she'll still be excited... A tea diffuser that looks like a llama that I got for free with Kohl's cash... and I don't know what else we are doing for her. I'm sure H will figure out something expensive and tech-y.

DD14: Perler beads (about $3 on super-clearance at JA), a punch embroidery set, overpriced funny socks, and finger puppets that look like doll hands... weird but she wants it... and I don't know what else yet, probably more art supplies and something to wear

H: No idea... he wants a PS5, but they are supremely unavailable and have been all year. So far I got him a t-shirt with Kohl's cash, and some of the Bath and Body works stuff I got is for him...

MIL- I'm leaning towards splurging on a roomba if I can find a good sale around Black Friday. She and FIL are very old and it would help them keep up with the dusting... But we will see...

FIL- A grafted pecan tree... he talks about missing the one at his old house in another state. Truthfully, he is unlikely to live long enough to see it ever bear fruit, but I think he would like it anyway. The price on that will depend a lot on where I get it shipped from.

My Mom: Wine, a silly game about wine, and a $50 gas card

My Dad: no idea... he lives in a nursing home now and literally does nothing by lay around and watch TV...

Sis: $50 gas card and a box of chocolate cherries she absolutely hates (it's a running gag that I find wayyyyyy funnier than anyone else does...) But if I could find a good deal on a recliner chair, she mentioned wanting one of those, so we'll see... either way she gets the nasty chocolates... 🤣

And myself: So far I've bought myself a Bonne Maman advent calendar (because y'all are evil temptresses!) and some pretty compressions socks I got on summer sale (need those for work.) And I intend to demand that H buy me a pasta extruder for my stand mixer... and by that I mean I might buy it myself if Kohl's has it, then use the resultant Kohl's cash for something else (it's not going to go on sale, but I might be able to find a kickback...)

So... all in all, a very spendy Christmas so far (by our standards...) On my side of the family, we are the best-off. On H's side of the family we are the "poorest."

New this year, on my side of the family I am assembling baskets of all our favorite yummy holiday foods. This is because we will be away with the in-laws this year (and their food is to THEIR tastes... which is me being VERY polite...) So since we won't be sharing our favorite bad holiday foods in-person with my side of the family, every group is getting their own little basket, personalized from a list I sent out so there is minimal waste. Meanwhile it means the girls and I will have all our favorites to gobble while we are visiting the in-laws. I am hoping to make this a tradition I can continue with my daughters as they insist on growing up and having lives of their own...

That said... SD29 barely talks to us and hasn't sent her sisters a gift (or a birthday card, or a text) in literally YEARS--basically since she turned 18 and her mother stopped forcing her to... Last year I told H if he felt obligated to give her an unappreciated gift it was all on him-- pearls before swine and all... I intend to do the same this year. 🙁 Sad but true.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We don't do gifts for anyone except immediate family, but I do bave two older teens. They get quite a few gifts but 98% of the cost is funded by Swagbucks and InstaGC so I'll have a very small oop cost.

One graduates right before Christmas so she's getting a new laptop to start college with and a new Bluetooth speaker for her room.

The other I have no idea other than a pineapple candle holder (sentimental gift) and some succulent tealight candles for her room.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm giving my Priest $100 to spend as he wishes. He gives most of his money to the poor and works long hours for social justice and food pantries. I hope he will use the money for himself, but I doubt it.

I'll send close friends and relatives nice hand-written cards.

I have a family in my condo that I give money off and on. I'll buy the three kids a small gift.

My housemate will get an Advent Calendar filled with cute surprises for each day.

All my relatives are financially secure, have college educations, and make good money. They live in another state so we have very little contact.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
We don't have much family to buy for and really if kids are adults nope.. gets to be too much. Dh and kids birthdays are between sept to dec and my mom close to xmas too. was more but now inlaws passed etc so cut down on the amount. I have a stash of presents already.. harry potter stuff plus a few others things ..have to look in the gift box! More gift cards, movie tickets etc to give. all friends kids are older too so don't know if even doing family gifts this year. Since the boys got pants already.. dh will get more for his birthday cus he needs them. Think I will look on red bubble for fun tshirts for them. I usually gets books too. I can ask if there is video games they want. Will see ..Thanksgiving here in a week and a bit so that first! of course candy etc.

I have a stash of gifts to donate for sally ann xmas drive. in honour of Santa Larry who passed a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CH- Once I saw the post about shipping rates increasing, I was like, I wonder about online ordering shipping costs....Will those rise? Will Amazon, online retailers, ebay sellers, etc. stop free shipping? It would make sense to increase rates or charge something with this new pricing....

With that said, I decided to do serious Christmas shopping and get the things that I was waiting on buying....No point in paying more by waiting.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
My guess is some companies will eat the "temporary" price increase and some won't. If they already charge actual cost based on what the PO tells them, expect it to go up. Places that have a flat fee might not change. Hard to predict.

I got DH some more snacks for his "stocking". Some pretzel dippers with chocolate, and a bag of nut mix. Just different things he doesn't usually get on a day by day basis. I'm keeping an eye open for some beef jerky that isn't loaded with pepper or hot sauce, he likes the mild kind.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I'll buy gifts for hubby if there is anything he wants. He usually buys things for himself. My decor is re-usable, just cut some fresh greens to add to stuff on hand (silver, candles). Dinners will depend on whether we are home or invited to sis-in-law's house. I would be perfectly happy at home with no guests. I used to make and give biscotti, may do that again.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been earning gift cards from surveys and getting video games or things called amiibos that are figures that can connect to a video game and add important items to the playing ( food, armor, etc.). These are sold out in stores and Amazon sellers are asking way too much. I ended up buying on ebay.
I got DH lip balm and hand softening cream that I saw at the hardware store.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
This will end up repeated later on the secondhand thread, but today I picked up two BIG reusable Christmas-themed bags--figure I can use those for carrying stuff between houses, since we plan to be in NC this Christmas. I also found a new (seals still unbroken) Grinch 300pc puzzle I thought we could set up on the card table at the in-laws house and work on together while we are there.

I was happy to find a big choice of silk poinsettia stems and chose two little bunches to do up pens for the check-in desk at the clinic after we switch up the decor after Thanksgiving-- I ALMOST bought some at Dollar Tree the other day, but I prefer to reduce the waste stream where I can, so that made me glad. I probably have something around here already that I can use as a pen holder for the countertop, even if it's just a plain little bulb vase or something...

I am REALLY looking forward to Halloween being over so I can openly start sorting and working on my Christmas packages for the fam and such without looking completely insane... Last year I bought stuff to put together a new garland for around the front door, but I don't want to get it all out until it's a bit closer... and I have a ZILLION reusable tins to fill with assorted munchies (since we will be scattered this year,) but I want to start getting those really sorted and planned... 9 more days until I'm just "ahead" instead of "crazy." (And two days after that, we're all officialy "behind," right??? 🤣 )

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the ebay seller sent the wrong amiibo toy and I'm trying to contact him to get it resolved.
I'd like to find some sort of phone to car connection that's hands free for DH and DS1. I have no idea what I'm looking for but neither use Apple branded items.
I saw a coin while on vacation from a shipwreck. I think DS2 will like it but have to wait for the salesman to call me when he gets more. My sister bought the last one.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Are you talking about bluetooth setup where your car detects the phone and you can use car buttons to answer and make calls via the cell phone? Check your car manual for "bluetooth" setup. My car talks to both hubby's iPhone and my Android phone. Call plays over the radio speakers and I guess there's a microphone somewhere in the dashboard because I can just talk without getting the phone out of my purse.
Last year I suggested BIL make hubby a nice wooden watch display stand, which he did with his woodworking tools.
If you are crafty then earring & bracelet set was always my go-to for women gifts.
Hubby and I are spending on upgrades for the house so I doubt the gifting will be big this year.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
Dollar Tree has candy out. I got some stocking stuffer snacks for DH. They also have boxes of greeting cards, I think it was 14 cards for $1. Picked up thanksgiving plates (18 for $1).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts