Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Dlrcpa- Yes, it's like that but older cars can't have the speaker phone system....So a speaker of some sort that clips to the visor is what I need and it somehow tunes into a phone. DS1 said he would look into it for me. I'll have to remind him...He's currently looking for one of those apartment sized stacking washer/dryer units at a reasonable price...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Making little 12" wreaths from double crocheted yarn on a wire frame. Double crochet a kraft paper colored yarn about five rows a couple feet long, then thread it on the wire through the middle row so it ruffles up, and twist the ends closed in a circle. Then attach scrap ribbon, buttons, bells, old Christmas ornaments, whatever looks good. It ends up looking very old fashioned. Doing one for a friend who's hung in there with us all through Covid and for that one I did buy a skein of yard for $3 and some coffee cup buttons for about $3 (he's a big coffee fan). He's a bachelor who doesn't have Christmas decorations, so I Googled "cardboard Christmas tree diy" and found a lot of instructions for making 3D standup trees which I may be ambitious and try. I'm thinking decoupage on the painted cardboard with the old magazines I have.

Found some discounted Christmas themed 12 x 15 garden flags and they're going on a tension rod in the living room window to brighten things up for the holidays, along with a string of $3 LED lights that Roomie dug out of a Big Lots bin while he was looking for a blanket. Amazing what you find when you're not looking.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
That sounds beautiful, Homebody.

We're putting up the same little 2ft tree we've always had, and DH is going to make some new ornaments with the 3d printer. Our lights are still up, never got taken down, so I will need to test them soon. I usually put a small decoration on the mailbox. I'll put on a seasonal table cloth and get out christmas dish towels, and light some tree scented candles for atmosphere. We don't need much.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
well xmas decor..have a bunch lol plus inflatables but cheers us up. I ordered cat version of monoply for brother and soon to be sil..cat nuts so why not added up for the free shipping for bird food. got the switch blade comb and sushi socks for ds too. looks like a pack of sushi in take out container pricey but something fun and useful.

·
Super Moderator
20,206 Posts
Zhoen, just FYI, in my unsolicited opinion, a hand crank pasta machine that clamps to a table or counter is a better deal than the KA attachments. And believe me, I really wanted to love the KA version. But if the KA is on a counter (who wants to move that heavy beast to a table?) then the extruder is up too high for comfortable use, for me anyway. Plus the dang things are so spendy. I was obsessed with getting one for a while, but then found a hand crank model with extra attachments cheap at a rummage sale. It's fun to use, so I've been happy with my choice. I bought the 'spensive all metal meat grinder/sausage maker for my KA instead. Love that! (And it's already working on paying for itself because I quit buying closeout Jennie-O ground turkey at $4/lb and started grinding BSCB at less than $2 instead.)

Whatever kind of pasta maker you end up with, keep in mind they work great for making many kinds of really thin crackers, too.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
only thing w used pasta machine that may not apply now ..when the making stuff out of that putty stuff like playdoh was popular ..people used the tabletop pasta machines but then you can't use them for real food again. and like all fads ended up at the thrift store. me well I have a bunch of ka attachements but never used them . rarely use my ka

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Polymer clay is non-toxic, so a used machine should be no problem if it has been cleaned well, which anyone would do if purchasing 2nd hand. The common advice to use a separate machine for food is because no one wants to take it apart each time they switch between food and clay.

Polymer clay is not food safe because it remains porous after it is baked. It's not the clay, it's the bacteria that can grow on it if food particles are absorbed. Likewise, any particles left on the machine can attract bacteria and mold the same way a paper plate or towel can.

Some people are sensitive to the fumes from baking polymer clay, but it is not considered toxic for hobby related home use. (ie: when you have recommended ventilaton and are not baking clay 7 days a week to run your etsy business)

I wanted the pasta roller for my KA, but it was soooo expensive and then went out of stock everywhere. I can't roll it by hand any more. Now, we just don't eat pasta enough to justify the cost.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
all true ch. but most people don't clean the machines well before using. or realize that is what they were used for.. I had $100 gift certificate from our wedding so used that for ka attachments.. think it was a set of attachments.. stuff for kitchenaid was way cheaper 20yrs ago. but really if family wasn't so picky in the past about food would have used all that stuff. dh got me the mixer for first married xmas cus that was what his mom got from his dad. She was sad when that died lasted almost 50yrs. the way stuff used to be made.

I like the idea of fresh pasta but can buy in stores and most homemade dh can't eat.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I received most of my Christmas presents by way of mail- thermal top, shorts, toy ....Still waiting for a shipwreck coin that was found off the Florida coast. Then I think I'm done. If I get one more thing, it will be for DS1 since I didn't get him anything fun....For fun, I got DS2 a video game and lego... DH got a mug from a Seinfeld episode that he talks about (I finally watched it on youtube).....

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Ordered the last gift for DH. I wasn't going to get him another novelty t-shirt, he has drawers full of them, but I overheard him talking about it yesterday and he brought it up again this morning. Added some hair clips for myself to get the free shipping.

Might pick up one of those tubs of flavored popcorn if I can find one that is only cheddar (he does not need any caramel corn) and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
picked up some of those prepackaged gifts at walmart for dh and ds. those chilled mugs from the 90s are back you know plastic w liquid in the middle that you put in the freezer. that would break after a while. but ds will get a thrill. and a mini tool kit w flashlight plus a cell phone magnifier.. has a prop you put phone on and the screen goes in front so you can watch stuff bigger.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I ordered a few things off etsy and made sure the shipping location was close. They got here and are awesome. Several other gifts from local stores, 2 items pending from a creative friend, and found several brand new items at thrift the other day so, NEARLY done.
I think I would like 1 more thing for my godson. The AAA membership is great, but not fun. Even though he's in his late 20s, I still think there should be a fun gift in the mix now and then.

Drawing names with one side of the family cut out 7 or 8 gifts the last few years and really takes a day off shopping and probably 200$ off the gift/gas/etc costs. Trying to get another chunk of the family on board with that.

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
Picked up DH's last gift today, a giant bag of cheddar popcorn. $2.99 at the grocery store vs $8.49 at the specialty popcorn place. He won't care that it doesn't come in a fancy bucket.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Still waiting for a shipwreck coin that was found off the Florida coast.
That is really cool!

Well, H ordered the pasta extruder, so too late now!!! I already have the roller set that makes the big flat rectangles and linguine-type noodles. This set is supposed to make hollow noodles like penne-- it's not at all practical, I just like toys! And he took my advice and ordered it from Kohl's on Friday, so it was the same "sale" price as everywhere else, but we get a $30 kohls cash kickback I will use for something else.

I just ordered seed pods and accessories for the Aerogarden I bought DD18, but I have a lot of organizing and wrapping to do before I buy anything else... I've been "gathering" for so long, I don't want to overdo it!!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts