Frugal Village Forums banner

Christmas 2022

10K views 66 replies 12 participants last post by  hikr00 
#1 ·
Yes, I said it. 11 shopping months 'til Christmas Eve, and I am starting this thread!!!

Some people (like me) feel a little better having some idea of a plan wayyyyy in advance, and it is fun to see how those plans change and evolve. Others won't pop on until November (assuming the world and the internet still exist by then...)

So for those who are willing, with last Christmas now a month behind us, what were your take-aways? Is there something you want to do different this year? Any plans already in mind?

#53 ·
Z, it's my dance troupe's annual party. I'm not hosting, we'll go to a restaurant or someone else's house. But the tradition is to exchange small gifts like costume jewelry, hand lotion, etc. I usually get more than 10 days notice and have time to order a dozen pairs of earrings or scarves off some website, but not this year.

Reactions: marthamfi and Zhoen
#56 ·
One of my nieces asked specifically for Home Depot gift cards this year (with the blissfully naive idea that her husband will do projects around the house <gigglesnort>), and I was able to get one off Raise for 17% off, so that was a good deal.

I put H in charge of buying the gift cards his Mom said to get for her and FIL... It is really awkward when we give them $$ and they give us $$+ in the same brands :rolleyes: For whatever reason, I feel better about it if he's the one who picked it out... not to mention I buy/wrap EVERYTHING else... :LOL: So while those cards were also available at Raise for a discount, I didn't buy them... it is worth the extra cost for me to feel like he is "participating 🤣

Christmas is s-l-o-w-l-y starting to appear here... This year the presents have been the least-difficult part, if you can believe it!!! But the tree is up and decorated, and little-by-little I am getting SOME of the decorations out. We never go crazy to start with, but this year I don't think I'll do the Christmas village, just the silly musical houses we have that the kids still love after all these years.

I had planned to do a lot tonight, since I am not working (but am nocturnal lately), but DD19 asked if her bestie could crash over because he had a fight with his family... now they are camped out in the living room and I am trying not to make a lot of noise... so argh!!!

#57 ·
Our lights are still up, and I will check this week and see if they still work. Maybe even today, as we might get rain tomorrow and the next day. I bought a couple of new light strands on clearance last year. DH doesn't really care but I like to set the mood for a couple of weeks at least. We'll put on a holiday table cloth and put the tree on the table. We have a huge box of christmas village stuff and have never had a place to display it.

#58 ·
I'm holding back on all the Christmas stuff. It's all too much for me and I don't have good memories of Christmas when I was a kid. There was always trubble between the parents, but they still wanted to celebrate a "merry" Christmas. That was disgusting to me.
We will put up a tree on December 24th because the rest of the family wants it that way. That's okay with me too.
Our new daughter-in-law brought an idea into the family: A few weeks ago we drew lots to see who gave whom a small! gift prepared. Who gives presents to whom is a secret until Christmas. We have also set the maximum value of 10 euros. So everyone gets a gift and everyone only has to worry about one gift. Nevertheless, there is a little surprise for everyone.
I like the idea. There are no mountains of gifts, you can focus on just one thing.
In the years before, we didn't give any presents at all because it was too exhausting for everyone to find something good.

#60 ·
Mit yes holidays can be like that. We used to go to the movies on xmas used to be quiet but now it is one of the busy times. Lots of people here celebrate diff holidays. I agree w you Zhoen lol like if we didn't do it then would xmas happen.. Not many xmas decorations up yet here either. boys can get them from attic this weekend.

picked up the choc letters and since cat toy stockings were half price got 2 one for gift one for cats. middle cat is actually playing with toy youngest started. don't think she ever learned to be a cat before we got her at 1.

fleece sleep pants were on for $5 so got ds a pair. dd has a night gown I got last year. Dress and pants came in the mail so that is done. need to put everything in fabric bags and see what is what.

#61 ·
I bought the last couple stocking stuffers for the gift bags tomorrow night. DH has sent a bbq package to his brother's family.

Found some smoked salmon buried in the freezer so I bought fresh handmade bagels from a local shop, and that will be my holiday treat to myself. Should last a while.

Reactions: Zhoen and marthamfi
#62 ·
Mite- I think Secret Santa exchanges are wonderful.
CH- Sounds good to me.

Not doing stockings this year. Just a small gift bag for each family member (well, DS2 is getting sneakers and they are a size 13).........I got DS1 a Scentbox subscription after they sent a discounted rate for a 3 month subscription. Use gift35 or gift15 and see if those work.

#65 ·
Picked up a few last minute things at the tool supply store. A pair of mini LED flashlights, always useful. A larger LED light with a magnet and a hook on back, good for the car emergency kit. (Got one for my car, too) A pair of inexpensive box cutting knives (always getting lost around here), and a high-impact waterproof carry case meant for delicate instruments, which he can use when he transports his scale models. Now I just need to find time to wrap them when he isn't looking.

#67 ·
Christmas was a success. We had a lot of fun and everyone enjoyed their gifts.

I just want to say thank you for this thread! It was a huge help to me to check in with myself on what I had purchased along the way since my shopping was spread out over several months.

Hope we can do this for Christmas of 2023 also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.