Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ladies,

Looking for your thoughts...my church wants me to consider being on the Governing Board and helping to run our church. I am considering how I can fit it into my already busy schedule. I haven't said "No, thank you" because I know that they need some fresh ideas and some help to build a new congregation. Most of our congregation is elderly people (which is wonderful but they don't have the necessary energy as time goes on...)

I think I can help with financial, business, & program management needs since I have the education and experience in that area. (But I do have a full plate w/ house, kids, career, MBA!)

I have many ideas. First and foremost is to build community not only within the church but within the local towns. My mantra is to "Act locally then Globally." To re-invigorate the congregation means to provide something special to families with children and to have programs that bring adults in.

What would you do to help re-build the congregation and to develop a relationship within the local communities? Keep in mind, this is Unitarian so people of all faiths are welcomed.

My ideas:
Yoga and meditation classes
Wellness seminars
Drumming circles
Bible/Koran/Kabala/etc Group Discussions/Workshops
Arts/Craft Fairs
Food Pantry-Non-perishables
Church Library
Once a month-Free meals
Strengthen the Children's Sunday School Curriculum
4 HR Babysitting co-op for Cheap on Saturdays
Sponsor New Moms In Need Program
Reading programs for Kids
Church Bookclub - Pick a book for the group to read and discuss
Clothing Swaps/$5 bags
Dave Ramsey Financial Planning

What other ideas might you all have?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
652 Posts
It is hard for me to comment here because our church just went through a terrible split. We are rebuilding our congreation and trying to regroup and trying to find ideas for our church too. Good luck and I will keep you on my prayer list...Blessings..Kathy

·
27,948 Posts
My In-laws who belong to a Unitarian Church do this neat thing called Silver & Gold dinner. During the colder months (summer everyone is off on vacations & such)groups of 3 couples get together one night a month for dinner with each bringing something to the table. It usually consists of older couple, middle aged couple and younger couple. They just enjoy getting to know each other better. They usually have it at my in-laws for their group since they can't see to drive at night. :) Groups change so you get to know more and more church members.

Another thing they did was a mentor type program. Not sure how or when they would get together and talk about things, but a teen in the church was paired up with an older member boys with a man & girls with a woman. They talked about all kinds of things and the teen was free to ask anything they wanted and the mentor would help them and give direction. They really enjoyed getting to know the younger people, talking about life, love, relationships, education etc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great ideas!

Our congregation is only about 40 people right now. I guess before I started there it used to be about 200 but the previous minister made people unhappy with the way of his sermons. That's why its in a rebuilding phase.

God will hopefully shine the light on what to do next. Thx again...

·
Registered
301 Posts
A little late... I just got here. :)

Do you already have abortion support/awareness? I know a lot of great links and youth ministry programs if you're interested. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts