Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have several clay pot crafts in progress right now. I'm wanting to know if anyone can help with ideas. We are planning on making citronella candles in 4" clay pots. Any ideas how to do this?

Also we are planning to paint some clay pots with regular artist's acrylic. Is that okay? Or do we need the paint specially formulated for ceramics?

We are also planning to decoupage onto clay pots. Do we need actual decoupage glue? Or can we use mod podge? What's the difference?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
You can find candle kits in craft stores. You will need citronella oil, and make sure you get the right size wicks for your pots or they won't burn right. They will be labeled.

You can use ordinary craft paint on those red clay pots. I have one that was painted years ago. It does wear a little bit, like if you scrape it, but it's generally good enough.

Reactions: peanut

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I have used mod podge on red clay pots and it worked fine. Sounds like fun! :)

·
19,119 Posts
....and of course we want pictures!!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MM LOL! You crack me up with your photos. If I could only get my digital camera to work long enough to take the photos I'd be happy! I am beginning to develop a love/hate relationship with that thing.

I have the candle making supplies at home. Just wondering how to plug the hole at the bottom of the pot before pouring in wax?

Good! We bought some Mod Podge today for decoupage. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain. I'm thinking I'll be making candles...and possibly soap...and painting pots. :)

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Try a piece of tinfoil in the bottom, like a little cup. That way when the wick burns down it won't burn through your bottom. You could probably put a piece of card under that for stability. Once the hot wax hits it it should cool and seal up.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, did some research on-line and found out the thing to do is put hot glue from a glue gun into the hole to fill it up. You press the wick tab into it and it also holds the wick in place!

Made the candles this morning. They've just had their first pouring...

They sure use a lot of citronella! Good thing I had some I wanted to get rid of. Not sure this is much of a savings. It was $5 for the citronella oil 10 years ago when I bought it. The wax was old candles melted down, so no cost there. But if I had to buy wax it would be expensive. I had the wick tabs. The wicking was $4. I used 2/3 of it. The pots were 2/$1 at Dollarama. These two candles used almost a whole bottle of citronella oil. So $10 for two candles...and that doesn't include the wax.

I think the main advantage to making these is they are a good way to use up leftover wax or old candles.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The painted pots. Oh what a nightmare! I am having difficulty. I painted them with metallic acrylic paint. Fine. Then I tried to stamp lettering around the top. It is rubbing off. I am going to wipe it all off and do something different. I am definitely changing horses in midstream and it shows. Sigh... I think I'll look for my stencils and see if I can do a nice stencil pattern on them.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finished the pots! They look lovely. The ladies think they should sell for $5 each or 2/$9. The stencil idea worked. I picked up some black stencil paint to stencil the lettering around the top.

Now I've started on a couple more pots. One with cherries around it and the other with wild flowers. I don't like them as well. But I'm thinking I might try spattering some paint on them to give a more interesting layered look. I remember a mixed media artist telling me once "nothing looks good unless there's about 5 to 7 layers on it." Well, I aim for at least 3 on the pots. ;)

I also finished the citronella candles. They look good too.

I've also been making soap and have some scented and unscented.

And I've been glass painting glasses and acetate fridge magnets. So far so good.

Would love to post photos, but it was hard enough taking pictures of things, let alone uploading them. Truth be told, I don't know how to upload to my laptop. Gotta talk to DH when he gets home. I don't want extra programs I don't need on my computer. There seems to be some duplication on the installation CD. I'll post pics when I figure this out. :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished candles and pots. :D

I've since painted out the green splatter lines on the last pot. I was going for the dot look, not the streaky look! :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More recent pots...

I wanted to paint over the bamboo one, but a friend stopped me, for now... We'll see. These are definitely different from the other pots!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts