Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone is Clean Eating? I bought a cookbook by Tosca Reno but am wanting some more recipes outside of that...anyone want to share?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have the Eat-Clean Cookbook by her is that the same one?

I have to say I would love to go more that way in eating style it is hard to always do it though.

My family loves her oatmeal cookie recipe!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's mainly just eating things that are natural, and no preservatives. The Eat Clean Cookbook is the one that I have, and everything in there is so good! I would love a little more variety!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Have you ever checked out the clean eating magazine. I have found a few recipes that I like from there. I never heard of the eating clean diet, however it does sound interesting as I am making more of an effort to eat that way because I was diagnosed as being diabetic in Feb., and I really trying to make lifestyle changes to how my family eats.

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/minisite/ce_index.htm

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
DH and I have been working to get over to this lifestyle. We have eliminated most processed foods and things with preservatives and I have never felt better.

The only downside to it... We went for Easter dinner on Sunday at my in-laws, and DH and I had no control over what was cooked (we were kicking ourselves afterwards, for not bringing a salad or something to share). The food was made with everything under the sun that we don't eat. Canned beans (chock full of preservatives), butter (we don't eat any kind of butter anymore, wether it be real or synthetic), pre-packaged rolls, etc.

I have been sick for 2 days. I had one small plate of food, and my system just couldn't handle it. I'm trying to flush everything out with Apple Cider Vinegar and lots of water, and I'm still having stomach issues! I"ve been totally lethargic and my mood is cruddy, and I know it is all related to the food issue. Luckily, I'm headed to the store today, so I can get lots of fresh fruits and veggies to maybe help me start to feel better!

So that is the only downside to it. You body really does adapt well to no preservatives and trans fats and things like that...buy goes haywire, if you fall off the wagon!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The same thing happened to me over Easter...and me and my kids have been so cranky and tired....it's amazing what food can do to your body! I have ordered a trial issue of the Clean Eating magazine! Thanks for the info! It looks amazing! I'm so excited! Momto2boys: do you make a drink of apple cider vinegar or just drink it? How do you use it as a flush? I'm curious!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have been moving toward cleaner eating myself. I just picked up this magazine this weekend and started looking at it. I really like it. I think I am going to ask for a book on it for Christmas. I know that Alicia Silverstone wrote a book on it, I checked it out on Amazon. Lots of pretty good recipes. I just don't like eating all of the chemicals and such. I know when I bring a healthy lunch I sure feel a lot better in the afternoon....

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I eat extremely clean and that means a lot of time in the kitchen.
I make our own mylks, nut butters and so on. The only down side is eating out. It's almost impossible to eat at someone Else's home because I find it amazing how much processed foods we really do consume. Things that I never would have considered a processed food (like canned beans) and instant rice are so common place. It's also difficult to explain why something that is seemingly healthy isn't.
But I will say that I feel better then I have ever felt in my life and when I have to eat something processed I can really feel the difference. It will literally make me sick.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I love the book, just putting it all in practice is the challenge. I would love to do it full time. I do way better than I used to. It really is the best way to eat for sure. The closer to the original the better.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Ann, I would love to see what a clean eating day for you is. If you don't mind sharing. :) I'm trying to clean up my veggie diet a bit.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was asking anyone that followed the "clean eating" regimen.

I checked the mag website and the recipes I read all said egg whites...none said anything about using whole eggs. nor were there any recipes using the yolks.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Ann, I would love to see what a clean eating day for you is. If you don't mind sharing. :) I'm trying to clean up my veggie diet a bit.
Well for me it would be Nothing canned or prepackaged.
I keep a selection of pre-soaked beans frozen in the freezer.
I don't use any unnatural sweeteners and that includes white sugar.

On a simple day my menu might look something like this
Breakfast
Bulgar soaked in orange juice and sliced grapes

or a smoothie

1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 banana, 1/2 nut milk, 1 1/2 tablespoon raw honey, 1/2 cup ice

Lunch is probably a salad
Always with nuts or beans on it for the nutrients
or a sweet potato topped with black beans and fresh salsa

Dinner is most often a stir fry
I use a wide variety of fresh produce and season it with a soy sauce substitute called Bragg's liquid aminos. And of course with brown rice.

snacks are always fresh fruits or veggies with a homemade sauce of some type. Cashew cream is a favorite.

Keep in mind I'm also big on eating a lot of raw foods. And I keep it low fat for weight loss. For Protein I like Tempeh and beans.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I eat fairly similar. I have homemade meusli, oatmeal or a protein shake for breakfast, mostly salads for lunch and I eat lots of stirfries or chicken or fish on the grill with veggies for dinner. I love fruit, my favorite snack. I also snack on nuts and make my own granola and the like. I also feel soooo much better since I have started eating this way about 4 months ago. I am a lot less lethargic and just feel better in general.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
add me to the list that eats this way (as much as possible)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts