Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the past two months my soon to be ex sent me a whopping $300 each month. Well his amount is to be $840 a month. But I am greatful for every penny I can get from him. I still had a hunch something was up. He either wanted his license back or wanted something. Well today he calls me and tells me that he passed his contractor's license but there was a problem. So I told him, well fix it. lol He said it was up to me to fix it. He said that if I close the child support case, he can get it and provide for the boys. I told him that I know he may have trouble understanding my trust issues, but not giving me any c/support for 9 yrs and all of the sudden giving me two months and then asking me to close the case, makes me uneasy! DUHHH does he think that I am that stupid? I know for sure that I won't get a penny from him now. :soapbox:
He tells me I was young and made stupid mistakes and I am trying to correct them. So you grew up in a couple of months? No, now you need something, and so now your willing to co-operate as long as you get what you want. Sheesh.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Is he a joke or what????? ABSOLUTELY NOT.......

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
no way! Tell him to get a job working nights at McD's, pay you what you're owed then it won't be a support case. Obviously he hasn't grown up that much. Good for you for being the responsible parent!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I don't plan to close it. I just hate that my gut feeling was right and it wasn't that he was concerned about his boy's needs, it was that he wanted something in return for paying me those two months! So follow your gut feeling and if you do get something use the money wisely. Pay off a bill, it will make it easier for you to provide more things for your kids if you do that. If you use it on buying the kids extra things that month, then that's all they will get that month. Well that's my plan anyway lol.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
DONT DO IT! He's just using you once again, dont let him do this to you and your children.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You were right to think he was up to something. They are so easy to figure out aren't they?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Oh how I am hoping your "CA" is Canada... a 2 for 1 Lynching... I'll get your ex as soon as I am done with Karen's!

(Have to be frugal about this... gas is expensive :lol3:)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I wouldn't do it. You're smart.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would tell your case worker what he tried to do. Esp since he supposedly said he can't do what he needs to do to get this job. They can also check to see if he has applied for employment or what w this company-esp if you can get the company names. Otherwise he could be doing fraud.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually what he wants to do is to get his contractors license. He is here this week to visit the kids. Every single day he has been asking me to close the case. I blew up on one of those days and told him I felt he was not here for the kids, he was here to try to persuade me.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Don't do it. Technically he is attempting to blackmail you. Report it to your caseworker and have his wages garnished. If you garnish him you will get your money! Best as I understand it the statute of limitation for back child-support is 20 years. (could be wrong, not positive)

If he works "under the table" he can also get caught for tax-evasion in addition to non-payment of support. The IRS has no sense of humor about not paying taxes. Just a helpful hint.

·
Registered
379 Posts
how is a single person supposed to pay 840.00?? maybe i read that wrong..300 for one kid i think is not bad..and most well paying jobs look at credit and with back child support on it good luck getting money from him..

how much is he behind the full 9 years i guess..thats a lot but he cant do anything with out a job..

he cant buy anything with back child support on him not a house not a car

..if its garnished employers frown on it ..yeah he needs to pay it but if you want that money you might need to take a chance and work with him..

you have a better chance of getting money if he has a job

i wonder if you can refile the claim if he doesnt follow through

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If he is supposed to pay 840 a month he needs to do so, not negotiate with 300 bucks. He needs to work two jobs, pick up cans... whatever it takes to provide for his kids.It is not your responsibility to take him by the hand like a child and get him a contractors license by shorting your kids.What a joke. You are so right to keep the case open.If he doesn't pay, let him share a jail cell with Big Bubba and be someones woman.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Well, I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here it goes anyway. I know this does not apply to all cases but it applies to most.

I believe the child support laws that take away a fathers ability to make money are stupid. I have know guys that got caught up in the trap the laws have set. They get laid off for several months. They make partial payments but not the full amount. So, they fall behind in all there bills including child support. Once they get a rehired or another job, their ex has already filed papers with the court and the hounding begins. So while they are tring to catch up, the law starts in on them.

How is a guy going to earn money if he can't drive to work because his license has been suspended? Or can't get a contractors license to make money doing odd jobs. So then he can't make money, so he falls futher behind. Next thing is he gets arrested. Now how can he make money if he is in jail? I really find it hard to have sympathy for the ex-wives when they are doing everything in their power to punish the fathers rather than ensure their children get child support.

I have know guys that get laid off and find new jobs making less. Is the child support reduced? Of course not, well at least not without going through the courts again and even then it is doubtful. The courts and society have basically set up the fathers to fail. All the courts and laws are punitive towards them when they fall on hard times as everyone does.

I think child support should be set on a quarterly basis. If the guy loses his job, the child support goes down. After all if they were still together as a family the kids would feel the effects of their dad being unemployed. Why should it be any different just because the parents separated. So go ahead and keep grinding the ax with the ex's, just realize things will never improve for your kids as long as you do.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Having the case reviewed quarterly would be a wonderful idea. That way if the father's situation improves, it can be adjusted to reflect that as well.... raises, bonuses, etc.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts