Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I ask about that, I am wondering, how BIG is a Large Family? we have 4 kids ( 9 months- 7 years old) and are almost 20 weeks along with our next.
I am using our cloth diapers again. I have the ones that have the velcro and the water proof outershell. I know I am spoiled. I bought these for our oldest and they are still working! I bought a new 5 pack of them the other day. MIL had gotten me a roll of the disposable diaper liners so that I would try using the diapers again to help save money. I love them! No more rinsing and scraping into the loo!
Anyone have any ideas for what I could use instead of these that would be a bit cheeper? They are $10 for a 100 sheet roll, you can wash and reuse the ones that were peed in once. So I can reuse every other one once. All these are is wood pulp. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I found that the liners I used were IDENTICAL to a used fabric softener sheet. Not sure what they would be called where you are, but a typical US brand would be 'Bounce".

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I would see what options you have , here is something that might interest you , I would not use fabric softener sheets with what they put in them.

here is the source:

Dryer Sheets & Fabric Softner – A Household Toxin | Mommyfootprint.com

I’ve written about changes I’ve made around the house after Isabella experienced her first eczema outbreak. Two household items that needed immediate action were my laundry detergent and dryer sheets. These are the top recommendations when talking to a doctor about what can trigger an atopic eczema outbreak. It was initially hard for me to part with my Bounce dryer sheets because of years enjoying that smell, but after researching just how harmful dryer sheets are, I’m happy to have eliminated them from my house. Not only are they a skin irritant…they are actually toxic! Parents need to think of these sheets as rubbing chemicals on their family’s clothes.

I never stopped to think what, other than the scent from the Bounce sheets, was being left as residue on our clothes. I shudder to think that I used dryer sheets on my newborn baby’s clothes. Here are some hidden ingredients: alpha-terpineol, benzyl acetate, camphor, benzyl alcohol, limonene, ethyl acetate, pentane, and chloroform. Those words sound like Greek? . . . well here are these ingredients potential side-effects:

cause central nervous system disorders, headaches, and loss of muscle coordination;
irritate mucous membranes and impair respiratory function;
cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness, or drowsiness;
cause liver or kidney damage;
cause skin disorders and allergic reactions;
cause cancer

The chemicals from dryer sheets are air-born and then the double whammy of having direct contact with our skin. A natural fabric softener to eliminate static is vinegar. See my previous post on handmade household cleaners. I’ve also talked about my Eco laundry detergent that I love…it has a built-in Soy fabric softener. Finding a detergent with soy is such an easy alternative to using these sheets because it’s built into the detergent. I was surprised that after discontinuing the use of the dryer sheets, my clothes really didn’t have much static. With our climate and soft water quality, it really isn’t an issue. But if your clothes do have static, here are a few things to try:

♦ Remove clothes when slightly damp and hang dry to complete the drying process. This small amount of moisture will keep static cling from becoming a problem in the first place.

♦ Only use the dryer for cotton fabrics. Dry all other types of fabric by air drying – other fabrics are ideal candidates for these alternative drying techniques.

♦ Vinegar to replace fabric softener and laundry detergent with soy fabric softener as previously mentioned.

Just like understanding that an adult tolerating BPA from a plastic drinking cup is different that a small baby ingesting BPA from a bottle, we need to protect our babies and children from chemicals. Eliminate a toxin in your home today and say goodbye to dryer sheets and fabric softener. You’ll soon discover that you’ll save money and won’t miss the smell. Actually, now when I’m out walking in neighborhoods, I can walk by a house and smell which dryer vents are propelling the smell from dryer sheets into the air. The fact the odor is still so strong outside of the house makes you wonder how many chemicals need to be added to retain the fragrance. Think about eliminating a step in washing/drying clothes that is doing more harm than good.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and industry-generated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) from the 1990s, the following is a list of chemicals in fabric softener products, most in untested combinations. Liquid fabric softeners additionally may contain formaldehyde.

* Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer.
* Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant.
* Ethanol: On the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders.
* Limonene: Suspected Gastrointestinal or Liver Toxicant, Immunotoxicant,
Kidney Toxicant, Neurotoxicant,
Respiratory Toxicant, and Skin or Sense Organ Toxicant.
* A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage.
* Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list.
* Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders.
* Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic.
* Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders.
* Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/dinged-by-dryer-sheets.html#ixzz1HOByeKGB

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Before I ask about that, I am wondering, how BIG is a Large Family? we have 4 kids ( 9 months- 7 years old) and are almost 20 weeks along with our next.
I am using our cloth diapers again. I have the ones that have the velcro and the water proof outershell. I know I am spoiled. I bought these for our oldest and they are still working! I bought a new 5 pack of them the other day. MIL had gotten me a roll of the disposable diaper liners so that I would try using the diapers again to help save money. I love them! No more rinsing and scraping into the loo!
Anyone have any ideas for what I could use instead of these that would be a bit cheeper? They are $10 for a 100 sheet roll, you can wash and reuse the ones that were peed in once. So I can reuse every other one once. All these are is wood pulp. Any ideas?
Wellll.......I have 10 (11). They range in age from 4 - 25. 6 boys, 4 girls( 1 in heaven).
I use to buy the blue liners to go with the cloth diapers. Although they are a convenience, I learned to do without them....just dumped the solids in the toilet, rinsed the diaper out & put the diaper in our designated diaper bucket until it was time to wash a load of diapers.
I would make our diapers from tshirts...I was astonished as to how much more absorbent they are than the cloth diapers that you buy in the store...& you can bleach them......only thing is, I had to used regular quilter's pins instead of diaper pins (too blunt -couldn't get them through the cloth) for the tshirt diapers - I've never had one pop open & stick a baby. If you go to garage sales, you can pick up tshirts for 10-25 cents...& they wear so much longer.....also sweatshirts make good cloth diapers. Maybe you could experiment & make your own liners with different material?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Wellll.......I have 10 (11). They range in age from 4 - 25. 6 boys, 4 girls( 1 in heaven).
I use to buy the blue liners to go with the cloth diapers. Although they are a convenience, I learned to do without them....just dumped the solids in the toilet, rinsed the diaper out & put the diaper in our designated diaper bucket until it was time to wash a load of diapers.
I would make our diapers from tshirts...I was astonished as to how much more absorbent they are than the cloth diapers that you buy in the store...& you can bleach them......only thing is, I had to used regular quilter's pins instead of diaper pins (too blunt -couldn't get them through the cloth) for the tshirt diapers - I've never had one pop open & stick a baby. If you go to garage sales, you can pick up tshirts for 10-25 cents...& they wear so much longer.....also sweatshirts make good cloth diapers. Maybe you could experiment & make your own liners with different material?
Old tshirts is a really good idea.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My point with the dryer sheets was that you launder all the fabric softener out of them FIRST.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you're looking for ones that you can throw away, check out Amazon- their prices are pretty good. Like these Amazon.com: Real Nappies Bioliner Twin Pack, Flushable Diaper Liners, 2 Rolls of 100: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41Hxjp6xJVL You get 200 for $11.99. If you sign up for AmazonMom (free), you get free AmazonPrime for 3 months- so you don't have to meet the minimum $25 for free shipping

Or if you have old shirts or flannel you can use that as liners. And if you get one that gets really gross in the diaper, you can just throw it away since it's old clothes anyways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With my first, I used all kinds of diapers, with pins, without pins, homemade, store bought, I even made cloth liners out of towels and shirts that were getting too old. I used them full time with him, the rest of the babies I used them at home only when they were breast fed. I know that I wont use them if I have to rinse them out, so liners are a must! I dont remember how much disposable diapers are but I am sure I am still saving money, even with the liners.
I was thinking about maybe using paper towel. We buy the select a size ones, they would be about the same size I think. I figured that a 100 sheet roll of these liners gives me 150 uses at about $0.06 each use. Anyone know how much paper towel is and how many sheets are on one roll.
I have cloth diaper liners on the way in the mail, I will start using those when the diapers are filled with something more solid for easy dumping.
Interesting about the fabric softeners, we have never used them because of exzema with two of the kids.Have had the same box and bottle on the shelf for 3 years, from when our family went shopping for me while on bedrest.
I realy hope I can stick to it with the diapers, hubby said we are having a hard time paying the bills, he asked me to try harder (which he never does). This is the only thing I can find to do that wont take away all my energy.

·
8,714 Posts
~Hook a sprayer on to your toilet and never dunk again.
I was lucky to get mine for just $25 with a promotion. Works great! ~

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sprayer looks great! I will start putting the money I saved from not using the disposables into a sprayer fund jar!
Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Another vote for a diaper sprayer. I would have quit cloth diapering without ours. I purchased ours from our diaper shop, but you find directions online to make your own with supplies from the hardware store.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I made cloth diapers out of receiving blankets. And I recently got some at the thrift, cut them into 4ths and made double sided burp rags for dd's new baby. She loves them and says they are SO much better than the burp cloths she got as gifts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So over time I have tried a few different things. I went through everyones clothes and have been cutting them up into liners and smallers wipes too. No one ever told me that you dont have to finish the edges on t-shirt, and sweat shirt materials, or even polar fleece! I have enough polar fleece ones now that I use those in every diaper. They keep the wetness away from his bum and the poo falls right off into the toilet, no rinsing needed!
Hubby is so happy with me using the diapers again that when he noticed that some are breaking down, he got me to put together a wish list and ordered me all new diapers to keep me going! The covers that I ordered can be used with prefolds with no pins. And I just found out how to make prefold diapers out of receiving blankets with no cutting, therfore no finishing of the edges is needed. He said that if I keep up with them, that he will get me everything that I need to cloth diaper the new baby too. He is even willing to switch to all cloth products, except for us when we do number two!lol! I think this will be realy good for the pocket book!

·
Registered
275 Posts
wow just by reading this you have inspired me to use cloth diapers again, i used them with myu first and second we had our 3rd last years (7 years gap) and i bought all the cloth diapers again but havent used them a lot as he is large and cannot find pilchers that fit, also he is such a wriggle worm, but we are on a really tight budget and our nappies cost in Australia for the month about $70 so i should definitely go back to cloth ones out here liners are cheap hombrand ones about $3 for 200

·
Registered
110 Posts
I make my cloth diapers from blanket material. I have 5 kids and another one on the way. I have the boys in diapers now.

·
Registered
419 Posts
In answer to how BIG is a Large Family, when I was in college, I would talk about my brothers and sisters and how there were only seven of us. Then, one day, one of my dorm mates told me "Never, use the word "only" when speaking of a number larger than 5!" My answer to that was that in my extended family, we were the average sized family, so there were "only 7". :) This was also coming from the girl who was one of 12!

In today's world, 5 might have shrunk to 3 or 2 now. Or the word "only" has been dropped. In an area known for families larger than 4, I still get surprised reactions out of people when we say we are planning on at least one more (we have 3 right now). As in, "Wow, that's a lot of kids!"

·
Registered
419 Posts
Another question to ask all of you, since we are planning on having another child: HOW do you make diapers and liners from anything? I am only familiar with the very old fashioned square piece of cloth folded into a triangle then folded and pinned again. I see other options and I don't even know how to use them much less make them. Or the liners either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ladies,
Yes please tell this grandmother and soon to be again. How do you make these diapers???? Where are the patterns???? Do you make the outside waterproof shell and then put these liners you speak of inside them???? And the store bought liners what are the brand name??? Where's the best place to buy??? Oh I'm sorry I have so many questions, but I need ya'lls help on this one. We are located in central Texas.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are TONS of sites devoted to cloth diapers. Google is your friend.

Here is a link with some free patterns...
Sewing Your Own Cloth Diapers - Resources

When I started using cloth, I visited the community at DiaperSwappers and learned a lot about the different options, sizing, laundry care, etc.

Locally, we have a brick & mortar diaper shop. Talking with the owner was always a helpful experience.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts