Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Last year we had problems with the kitchen sink drain. Neither side would drain. So we rerouted everything into a bigger drain. Everything worked fine til yesterday and now it won't drain again. So plumber that I'm not I tore everything out and ran a snake through it and it came back clean. So I put it back together and it worked fine.....til this afternoon. Now it won't drain at all. The drain goes straight down then there's a 90 and then straight again for about 10 feet and another 90. Both 90's are clean and clear and the big drain works fine. Any ideas on what todo? I know that draining the sink into a bucket is getting old fast. Thaks in advance for any help

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I have tried the boiling water/vinegar/soda combination and every imaginable drain openr there is including Red Devil.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sounds like a blockage further down. Is there a trap near where the pipes leave the house? Is it a septic system? Could be either frozen? Do you have kids, we once took out a car...(toy)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm with everyone else, probably a blockage farther away. We had one towards the outside of our house caused by tree roots...not fun. Roto rooter or similiar companies can use a camera to look thru the pipes and find the problem.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's fixed!!!!!

Well its fixed and you won't believe what it was. Between the sink trap and the basement there was another trap for some reason. The pipe from the one upstairs fell and covered the hole in the other trap. All that mess and all we had to do was pull up the pipe. You would not believe the things we have fouond since we started to remodel this house. It isn't that old but we have found rags stuffed in between 2x4's for insulation. Newspapers used for insulation.Not to mention nails so long that we were afraid the siding was going to fall off if we pulled them out inside the house. I'm just wondering if we're going to find where the two old ladies that lived here stashed their fortunes. Everyone said they had money but lived like they were dirt poor with no indoor plumbing of any kind. Used out houses and hauled water. Thank heavens I don't have to dump buckets of water any more. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure we'll have more problems down the line.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
We kept finding stuff all the time at our house. My husband is a carpenter and you could hear him screaming every time we redid something. One of the oddest... was someone ran the ac without a filter and there was newspaper inside the fan. That was so weird. Funny what people will do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts