Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why I have been MIA for the past few weeks....Well, here goes.... my name is Cornelia and I am a certified clutter bug, there I've said it. Now you know me...lol..this is really hard for me to admit...

I have always been a clutter, hoarder, hold on to everything person. My dh has really helped me with this problem...and I have been doing much better over the past few years....but now I have decided that enough is enough.... the main living area of my house stays in pretty good shape with everything being stuffed in the two attic rooms upstairs, and I do mean stuffed.... I am embaressed to even show you guys a picture. I knew that I have tons of stuff that I could ebay and sell and clothes I could be wearing (I have a cedar closet and chest upstairs that I keep all my clothes in......the upstairs is so bad that when I needed something in a hurry, I would end up having to go buy another one......ughhhh.... sooo here's what I have done so far....

I have worked for the past two weeks when I ds was asleep. I sorted and separated everything into piles-clothes and shoes, paper, craft and scapbooking, office/ebay stuff, other stuff.

I went through 16 boxes of papers, mags and books- the talley was:
2 boxes to burn/shred
5 boxes to recycle
1 box of mags to mom
2 boxes of mags to go through- I have already sorted them.
2 boxes of files with important papers sorted and filed.
I have 3 boxes left now that I have already gone through but need to put in proper place.

I have gone through the mound of clothes that I had- I have held on to everything, from when I was a size 0 to a size 18. Here's the talley for those:
I donated 6 bags of clothes to a consignment shop for the money to be donated to a little boy in the area that has to have expensive treatment that the insurance won't cover.
I gave three bags to the Salvation Army.
We had a yard sale Sat and I was able to get rid of about a bag full of clothes.
I have a keeper of clothes to ebay.
I organized and put in keepers all of ds's outgrown clothing.
I threw away a bag of worn out bras and underwear.
The chest is cleaned out and I have put in shorts, tank tops, and t-shirts.
I have a small chest that I keep in the hall that I put in underwear, bras, socks and pjs.
Now I just have to hang the rest of the clothes-I decided to only keep what fit me now and a few favorites that are a size smaller. I also am hanging on to my maternity clothes-just in case.

I have also got the back room organized and arranged. My sister gave me an extra bed for up there, and I have an craft/scrapbook area set up, and a office area set up. I also have two bookshelves that I got from my neighbor that I put my books on. I also now have a gift box. Once I get the rest of my clothes put away, I will take a picture of the room so you guys can see.

I still have several boxes to go through in the front room but I am going to work on a few each day until I get done. I am really proud of myself. This has needed to be done since we moved here and now it is so nice to be able to walk upstairs, find something to wear and not have to walk over stuff or go through stuff to find it.....Thanks for listening to me...I just wanted to share all I have accomplished with you!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
WTG Cornelia!! You are doing great! Just don't forget to take it slow so you don't burn out. I know decluttering can be overwhelming. I am doing the same....just taking it one day at a time, a little at a time.

Good luck! I bet it looks great!:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
DH and I go through this quite often. We have a walk in closet you can't get into. We always find bags and bags of clothes to give away or toss, yet we never buy new clothes. I have no idea how that happens.

I find it's better to take it slow, like you're doing. I can't wait to see pictures!!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Cornelia, you are doing what I did last year and I think I can do it again this year! How do we accumulate all this stuff?

Congratulations! :dancing:

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
I'm so proud of you, Cornelia! You can do it! We're all here cheering you on!!! :clap:

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
WTG!! I've been doing the same thing and took a truck load to the goodwill today! I feel so much better,as I know you do :hugz:

·
27,948 Posts
Aww Cornelia you should be so proud of yourself, I'm thrilled to pieces for you. Woohoo, you go girl!!:yippee:

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! you have motivated me to get busy today! off to start!:D

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
WTG! It must feel great to do all that! :yippee:

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Way to go! Thanks for your inspiring story. I need to get on the ball and de-clutter.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Cornelia~ Wow! Way to go! That must feel so good. I hope you took before and after pictures-- if not to share, then at least for yourself so you can remember how much you've accomplished. Great job! :D

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Great job Corneilia! I think lots of us have the same problem as you with collecting, hoarding, or whatever we each call it. I've been working on some areas for years, lol.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts