Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think that this station blows things up out of proportion?My husband watches this alot and believes what they say.I think they report on things just to get folks riled up.Whats your opinion?

·
Registered
31 Posts
All the news stations do. I've yet to find one that doesn't! The cable stations are the worst because they are completely ratings dependent. Local news is marginally less bad because they aren't as dependent on ratings, but often they regurgitate cable news stories with the sensationalism still in tact.

When I was writing my first feature way back when on mercury levels in water in New Mexico, my editor wanted an expert quote saying that the mercury may eventually make its way into the drinking water in a city there. I told him all the experts I interviewed were fairly adamant that the reservoir that supplied the city was safe. He told me "You're not looking hard enough, there's an expert out there saying what ever we need them to." The theory was the story would sell better if the readers thought it directly impacted them. And if, by chance, the merc did make it to the water supply this paper would have broken the news first. By having an "expert" the paper couldn't be called out when it didn't happen because they were just reporting on the expert.

I wasn't cut out for current events or investigative writing, the shaky ethics bothered me. Now I happily do horticultural writing because flowers don't lie :D

Reactions: chowder

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I do not have cable, but even if I did I would not watch CNN, MSNBC or Fox news. Years ago when we had cable I found all those news stations to have their own agenda, push, push, push. UGH!

If I watch news now it's the world news that's on at 6:30 pm, and I balance it by watching world news stations from Korea, Britain, France, Germany, etc. It's amazing the things our news does not tell us!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I am not sure, but I have a friend who lives right outside of Tokyo, and she said that CNN IS blowing alot of stuff out of proportion... She may be biased because she lives there and watches alot of the Japanese news and they don't say much.. (from my understanding).

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I don't watch TV, but do get my news via the net. I try to stay on top of things in the bond market, investor prospectus, and general news can get all the news on the net. With that said I do find CNN amusing, especially when they don't edit at times...lol I don't like certain stations agendas or the lack of actual facts vs "feelings" I do have extended family that only watches CNN....sigh....Nuff said

Now if I want to read " ultimate doom" I go to Drudge.....lol But I take most news in stride and research.

·
27,948 Posts
We still call CNN the "Clinton News Network" in our house. Not a fan. ;)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Can't speak to what they show on CNN. We are FOX News folks here, too. CNN is way too liberal for our liking.

From what I have seen so far, I don't think FOX is blowing it too far out of proportion. There is going to be some sensationalism in all reporting, that is just the way it is. But, I am satisfied with FOX's coverage thus far.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Regardless of political views associated with certain channels/newspapers/websites etc - all of them blow everything out of proportion for ratings. :( We just flip around and watch a bit of each channel and then decide for ourselves what we'd like to believe. What's 'breaking news or breaking video' that has been 'just released' here, DF found on the web 3-4 days ago so its all recycled footage.

Thats my take on it.

·
Registered
10,999 Posts
All the stations do to some degree or other. The key is separating the news from the rest of what they broadcast.

Is the reporter live, reporting on what is happening now? Or is it rehash with commentary from "experts"? Most of your bias and sensationalism comes in the after commentary, when everyone has an opinion (and not necessarily an informed or educated one) and the network is going for drama and ratings.

Once you can separate out the actual news reporting from the dog and pony act it becomes a lot easier to watch the news. As my husband likes to say, "90% of everything is crap". That goes for 24 hour "news" channels too.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I watch FOX, but after watching for hours (like at the beginning of the tragedy in Japan I would switch over to CNN just to see if they were reporting anything different. It was all about the same.

These days I can only take world news in small doses. I know things are bad whichever channel is reporting it, I just don't need a blow by blow account and then they have to correct previous reports when more accurate info come out.

I like HGTV and the Foodnet work. :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am a Fox news person. I do switch from Fox to MSNBC and CNN just to hear what the left is saying, then I jump back to Fox. I like Hannity and Bill O'Reilly and Greta. I don't like Glenn Beck anymore. He does that Professor/classroom thing and I just can't listen to him anymore.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
all the news stations are fighting for ratings ' our local stations will even give you half a story in between TV shows to get u to tune in to them to find out the rest . IE "Fire in a school and you wont believe how it started ....tune it at 10." and it really is not some major deal how it started - electrical or whatever just like alot of fires,

i also feel lately they all overexaggerate weather storms - heat waves - snow etc because people dont react the way they should for safety reasons unless a huge deal is made over it

plus if you make something extra scary people stay tuned also

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
You just have to do an internet search to see how egregiously FOX news literally LIES to its viewers. CNN has been disappointing me in relation to its coverage of Japan, because I think it is giving in to the whole "people want a reason to panic" approach that US news seems to love. I spent a few weeks in Canada, a few years back, and I actually enjoyed watching the news there - very objective and factual. Makes our news look like a made-for-tv drama series.

·
Registered
44 Posts
DH and I watch CNN because we have found that it is the most balanced between views. I used to be a dedicated Fox viewer until my husband starting getting ticked about their approach. That said, I think all media driven stations have an agenda to keep people watching. I'm sure that influences the delivery of the story.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Tonight I sat and watched more then a clip of the news about Japan. It was a PBS station, an Asian news station. Holy mackerel was that coverage of Japan contradistinct. There was no panic, no theories, no reporters using facial expressions or using their tone of voice to indicate how they want you to think or feel about the events.

It was, to quote Dragnet's Sgt. Joe Friday "just the facts Ma'ma"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.