·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: COUNTRYBUMPKIN

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I've only had two cold soups. I loved Gazpacho - it's a spicy spanish tomato soup and I like cucumber soup. It's very freshing on a summer day.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I've never had cold soup before. I guess I am like you Michelle and think soup-cold weather. Let me know if you find a cold soup you like.

·
Registered
340 Posts
One word: Vichysoisse. I had it at a restaurant a few weeks back at a swanky dinner. I thought it sounded icky and I was only going to eat it to avoid looking uncouth, but I ended up cleaning the bowl! I'd have asked my friends if I could eat theirs, if it wasn't for the aforementioned uncouth factor.

I've always thought of trying an avocado soup, but I usually end up just eating the avocado right out of its skin. :)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still looking for one that sounds good that doesn't have cream or milk (I'm lactose intolerant). :)

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Gazpatcho is basically like soup made of salsa, served cold. I love Mexican food, but I've never been crazy about Gazpacho myself. It's dairy-free, though.

Here's what RecipeZaar has for cold soups:
http://www.recipezaar.com/r/q=cold+soup

Some of the fruit ones sound good to me, but I haven't tried them yet.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:bump: it's that time of year again. I never did make any cold soups after I posted this question a few years ago.

I think this one sounds really good though:

VANILLA FRUIT CUP SOUP
Serves: 6 This soup is basically a colorful fruit salad easily transformed into an appealing dessert soup. Use the lushest fruits of late summer for best results.

• 2 cups berries, as desired (blueberries,
  • raspberries, or chopped strawberries, or a combination)
  • 1/2 medium cantaloupe, cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 2 cups pitted watermelon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 1 1/2 cups green seedless grapes, left whole if small or halved if large
  • 2 peaches or nectarines, cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt or soy yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated
  • 1 1/2 cups white grape juice, or as needed
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, optional
Combine all the ingredients except the last two in a serving container. Add enough white grape juice to achieve a slightly thick consistency. Taste, and if you desire extra sweetness, add honey to your liking.
Cover and chill for an hour or two before serving.

http://vegkitchen.com/recipes/cold-soups.htm#vanilla

Reactions: COUNTRYBUMPKIN

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've only made gazpacho (tomatoes, celery, bell peppers, etc.) I've also eaten a cold beef soup that I really liked (much to my surprise).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I've had cold avocado soup that was really good, though I've never tried to make it. The fruit soups sound yummy, may have to try one of those.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've always equated soups with cold weather since usually the soup I eat is hot. I'm not much of a soup eater.
You should try cold ones. They're quite refreshing. Warming in the winter and refreshingly cool in the summer. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
At work this week, I taught my kids to make gazpacho. Believe it or not they all tried it. They couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that none of the ingredients were cooked and that we did it all in the blender.

It's great really, really cold with a dollop of sour cream on top. You can play with the ingredients by adding cilantro, lime and cumin to give it a southwest twist. Add fresh mint and oregano, throw in some chopped kalamata olives and you have a Greek version.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
:bump: it's that time of year again. I never did make any cold soups after I posted this question a few years ago.

I think this one sounds really good though:

VANILLA FRUIT CUP SOUP
Serves: 6 This soup is basically a colorful fruit salad easily transformed into an appealing dessert soup. Use the lushest fruits of late summer for best results.

• 2 cups berries, as desired (blueberries,
  • raspberries, or chopped strawberries, or a combination)
  • 1/2 medium cantaloupe, cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 2 cups pitted watermelon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 1 1/2 cups green seedless grapes, left whole if small or halved if large
  • 2 peaches or nectarines, cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt or soy yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated
  • 1 1/2 cups white grape juice, or as needed
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, optional
Combine all the ingredients except the last two in a serving container. Add enough white grape juice to achieve a slightly thick consistency. Taste, and if you desire extra sweetness, add honey to your liking.
Cover and chill for an hour or two before serving.

http://vegkitchen.com/recipes/cold-soups.htm#vanilla

OMG......This sounds wonderful! Thanks, Michelle!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I just can't imagine eating cold soup to me soup has always been hot!! I just might try it though might be good on a hot day!!

Eileen

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm not much into soup either. I was in a mennonite town recently and a choice of cold soup came with my sandwich. The one I chose was strawberry with some sort of wine in it - it was very good but I felt like I was eating a smoothie with a spoon!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts