Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 April 2009 Downspout Rainwater 8 April 2009 Downspout Rainwater
Pictures indicating a simple, practical method of utilizing downspout rainwater. Barrels cost 15 dollars and all parts are standard plumbing fittings. Any urban downspout system must address the overflow problem during rainfall. The large bung hole is a reasonable compromise for overflow. The height is such that a hose may be utilized for watering plants, but I usually use five gallon buckets on a two wheeled cart. The system is readily expandable by cascading more barrels in line. I have four barrels, two on each side of the house. the system is essentially closed, hence mosquitoes are not a problem.

16 April 2009 Downspout Water Connection. 16 April 2009 Downspout Water Connection.
Seasonal connections. The downspout water system was switched over to Summer mode by connecting the downspout to the storage barrels.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Why would it be illegal to collect rainwater??

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
It's illegal here. I have though found ways to do it incognito.

Here there's what's called the stormwater enterprize tax. you get charged a tax for the water that can't penetrate the ground quickly(ie anywhere paved, your roof, etc)...but you can't mitigate that with rainbarrels. Whether or not you do anything to lead water to ground or not. Some states or counties are just set up that way. It's wise to check it out.

·
2,688 Posts
It's illegal here. I have though found ways to do it incognito.
Here there's what's called the stormwater enterprize tax. you get charged a tax for the water that can't penetrate the ground quickly(ie anywhere paved, your roof, etc)...but you can't mitigate that with rainbarrels. Whether or not you do anything to lead water to ground or not. Some states or counties are just set up that way. It's wise to check it out.
I still don't quite understand how this all works in your area.
Do you not get enough rain ? Or do you get too much rain ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes, believe it or not, in some places, governments claim jurisdiction over rainwater. In places where collection is illegal, they are supposedly worried about you reducing the amount of available groundwater. That would really only be a factor if you were exporting it. If you are using it on your garden, it's going back into the same ground it would have gone into had you not collected it. But, check the laws where you live.

It's not like that everywhere, though. Where I live, the local government actually encourages it due to severely limited groundwater resources. They would rather you collected water off your roof than pump it from an aquifer that your neighbour depends on.

Here, we get abundant rain in winter, and hardly a drop in summer, so collecting a season's worth of water in winter makes a lot of sense.

Here is my collection system.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
We were in a dought for a long time. They enacted the tax two years ago (some people claim it was underhanded that they snuck it onto a ballot under guise of something else, i don't know one way or another)...when the drought finally ended. They decided recently to end the tax ... but are placing liens on properties that refused to pay for rainwater hitting their roofs.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
here's what they did...

http://www.springsgov.com/sectionindex.aspx?SectionID=34

I am trying to find the actual fee schedule and explaination from when it first started. They were taxing you for letting your rain water get into the gutters and such, but they woudn't allow people to build anythign to prevent it from going there...like rain barrels or anything. So, in essense you were getting taxed a normal property tax that taxes for structures on your property, then you got taxed againfor those structures (including paving)...even if it was a city sidewalk that ran though the frontage of your property...for the rain that fell onto those things. And if you tried to mitigate that with a rain barrel system, you got fined for that too.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here's what they did...

City of Colorado Springs - Stormwater Homepage

I am trying to find the actual fee schedule and explaination from when it first started. They were taxing you for letting your rain water get into the gutters and such, but they woudn't allow people to build anythign to prevent it from going there...like rain barrels or anything. So, in essense you were getting taxed a normal property tax that taxes for structures on your property, then you got taxed againfor those structures (including paving)...even if it was a city sidewalk that ran though the frontage of your property...for the rain that fell onto those things. And if you tried to mitigate that with a rain barrel system, you got fined for that too.
May I suggest that you remove the idiots who made such a stupid, complicated law. It is the most stupid thing that I have read in a long time. Is this the USA?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, believe it or not, in some places, governments claim jurisdiction over rainwater. In places where collection is illegal, they are supposedly worried about you reducing the amount of available groundwater. That would really only be a factor if you were exporting it. If you are using it on your garden, it's going back into the same ground it would have gone into had you not collected it. But, check the laws where you live.

It's not like that everywhere, though. Where I live, the local government actually encourages it due to severely limited groundwater resources. They would rather you collected water off your roof than pump it from an aquifer that your neighbour depends on.

Here, we get abundant rain in winter, and hardly a drop in summer, so collecting a season's worth of water in winter makes a lot of sense.

Here is my collection system.
Nice system. Don't even think about it at minus 18C.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
thoes taxes sound insane!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
May I suggest that you remove the idiots who made such a stupid, complicated law. It is the most stupid thing that I have read in a long time. Is this the USA?
I know. It's stupid. And I can vote against them until my dying day, but more people have to agree with me. They have acutally recinded this tax recently, but have pretty much levied something else in it's place. I for the life of me can't remember what it is called.Whee, the good ol state of Colorado.....whee fun stuff :abduct:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know. It's stupid. And I can vote against them until my dying day, but more people have to agree with me. They have acutally recinded this tax recently, but have pretty much levied something else in it's place. I for the life of me can't remember what it is called.Whee, the good ol state of Colorado.....whee fun stuff :abduct:
PETITION!!!!
That's probably one of the best things you can do until said Idiots are out of office

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Other states own a lot of the water that falls in my state, essentially meaning I'm stealing from those states. In my case, it doesn't really apply, because the water that hits my house will never make it to a river. However, there are a lot of other people who's water will make it to a river.

The laws are slowly getting loosened up a bit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have a "residence" and your property is on the tax rolls, then yeah, you are required to pay any kind of tax they come up with. It is because a residence is commercial in nature.

The heart of the matter is that word art has been employed and the majority of people have no idea. If you do not partake of any benefits (use of the library as a non-resident, for example) and your home is your domicile (as distinguished from residence), you are not liable for the tax.

The trick, of course, is to get the domicile removed from the tax rolls and merely recorded as private property.

*This is in no way to be confused as legal advice. Just an observation.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That is very jurisdiction-dependent. I don't doubt it is the case where you live, but the laws vary from one place to another. Best that each person checks the laws where they live.

I don't know what distinction your jurisdiction makes between "residence" and "domicile", but I'm pretty sure mine makes no such distinction. And certainly, there is no way here to get your property removed from the tax rolls. Here, it doesn't matter whether you have a residence, domicile, or bare rocks and trees, you still have to pay taxes.

So, check the laws where you live.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.