Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dd (a freshman in college) just ranted how everyone she knows is going somewhere for Spring break while she is staying home and working. She doesn't understand how you can take out a loan for college and then spend money going on vacation. I hope she retains that attitude for the rest of our lives. Dh and I just smiled and nodded.:lol3:

Reactions: katybug

·
Registered
933 Posts
My son and daughter have never been able to go anywhere on spring break either. Thankfully its never bothered them. They know they nor we can afford it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's good that she's so frugally minded. But as someone who went to college on scholarships while working fulltime, I regret that I didn't take the time for myself to go on spring break just once.

I went to Thailand last month and had a lovely time, but seeing all of the twentysomething backpackers made me realize how much I missed out on when I was younger and so worried about working and building my career.

Of course, those years led me to this career that enables me to live in Europe and travel 6 weeks of the year. But still, I wish I'd taken more time for myself before I was 35. My travel experiences in the past year have changed my perception of the world and I wish I'd had that perspective earlier.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, just sharing the perspective of someone who was much like your daughter and wishes she'd have had more balanced priorities in her youth.

Of course I don't know your daughter's situation, but I've always been a hardworker and a saver and even back then I could've afforded a cheap spring break trip. Except, I was too busy working every chance I got to make the investment.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Spring break doesn't have to be expensive, or a Jersey Shore-style drunk fest. I cherish the experiences I had with friends and family over breaks during college. We never spent much money, but always had tons of fun. I hiked in the mountains, camped above the clouds, kayaked across lakes, tubed down rivers, swam in the ocean, explored museums and historical sites, ate lots of delicious food and met many wonderful people. It's great to be financially responsible, but that doesn't have to mean depriving yourself of opportunities to explore the world and make memories.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.