Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
We did several of the steps out of order. We made his program work for what we wanted. We are finally down to the last couple of years on the mortgage and are pouring our extra to get it gone in these next 2 years ( should be about 3 years and a couple of months left) If it goes as planned, we will be paid off in 20 years on a 30 yr mortgage. Do some money plugging to see what works for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why not? I think that you got a good point. I would add that paying off for home needs to be in the top 5. In my opinion, this is a very important step. When I had just finished the asa Miami campus and found a solid job, I took the mortgage and bought a house first. Also, I suggest you don't go for the mortgage now. Today after the COVID-19 crisis, the economy didn't recover, and today many sources announced a big crisis because of the war in Ukraine and European sanctions announced on Russia. So go for a mortgage only if you are 100% confident you will be able to pay full price momentarily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
“Sadly, the math tells us it’s almost always better to invest in other places than in your mortgage,” says Richard Bowen, CPA and owner of Bowen Accounting in Bakersfield, California.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It depends on several factors. First, no matter which order, your emphasis with your children should be to get outstanding grades to secure scholarships. Possibly have them get Summer work to contribute to their fund, even if it's just for books.

If you were a client I would ask you what rate you're paying on your mortgage and how fast you can pay it off. Usually, when you have a solid goal you have more incentive to throw money at it.
Don't break the bank or underfund your retirement to put kids through college. I managed to self-fund through PhD. and pay back the loans. Help them choose good majors!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts