Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is in 11th grade. I found out recently that some scholarships have a dec of jr year deadline to apply. We have applied for one.

We are looking at 2 jr & 2 sr colleges.

Any suggestions on what to put in a note book and how to organize it so that we don't miss deadlines?

TIA

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DD is a freshman in college. She received over $275,000 in scholarships, including full rides to four schools (Auburn, Loyola, Wofford and Judson) and other one-time scholarships in varying amounts.

All we did was keep a spreadsheet with the info (application due date, transcript sent, recommendation letters sent, notification date, etc...). In addition we kept a single folder with DD's resume, copies of recommendation letters, and any other related info. Once DD received a scholarship offer we kept those papers in a separate folder, sending a copy of each letter to her HS guidance counselor.

We also made of note of which schools she applied to that automatically apply you for their scholarships.

DH spent a lot of time on collegeboard.com. We made use of the common app and took advantage of the numerous colleges who did not charge an app fee when using the common app.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I have the information & confirmation of completed application in a page protector in a binder. We won't hear from them until spring 2013.

He hasn't even signed up for the act and takes the PSAT tomorrow. I didn't even know about the PSAT until it was almost too late to sign up for it. The school councelor said we could wait on college stuff until his sr year.

I found collegeboard.com today.

·
Registered
545 Posts
register on fastweb.com -- I found a lot of scholarships on there

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
The school councelor said we could wait on college stuff until his sr year.
I would not recommend waiting for his senior year to take the ACT. The majority of students take the ACT multiple times and their scores typically increase each time they take it(higher score=more scholarships). Many colleges have a scholarship application deadline between December -February of the senior year and several will not accept the ACT scores from tests taken after October of their senior year for the upcoming fall semester.

CollegeConfidential.com will let you know absolutely everything. There are message boards like crazy and have a wealth of info.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll check those sites. I'll also see about setting up a spreadsheet.

I was venting about the councilor. If some deadlines are dec of the jr year it would be stupid to wait until the sr year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts